WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Squeezebox server + mocp  (Read 2471 times)

Offline bkwb

Squeezebox server + mocp
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »
hi,
I'm not sure this is supposed to stand here but I give it a shot anyway.

To start, I'm a newbie with tinycore and microcore. I've used both in virtualbox and saw benefits as well as problems with both of them. But now I find myself with another problem. I want to use an old Pentium 2 or 3 computer to run as a Squeezebox server.

I don't own a squeezebox but I want to build my own wifi-radio because they are way to expensive for what they are worth (+ I want to be able to listen all my music). I also want it to be expendable and my girlfriend and I must be able to control the music via HTTP, thats why I thought squeezebox would do fine. I don't have an asus router so I will use an old computer for it. I don't want a big client like ubuntu, just something slim and nice. I thought about this:

An external USB HDD connected to the P2 or P3 computer on which runs microcore (or tinycore) with on it squeezebox server and MOCP as client to listen to it.

But then I need to get squeezebox up and running on tiny/micro core. I know sh*t about compiling and have no idea how I should get started on this.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Wouter

Offline b1ackmai1er

Re: Squeezebox server + mocp
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »

Hi,

I have doubts that a 200Mhz Pentium is going be powerful enough to run squeezebox server.

Have you looked at FreeNAS with SlimNAS extension?

regards b1ackmai1er

Offline b1ackmai1er

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:54 AM »
Hi. I realize now I did not fully understand your post.

However, freeNAS and slimNAS extension still look like a good option for you. There is a freeBSD port of moc I beleive (http://www.freshports.org/audio/moc/)

For running squeeze server you would probably need the perl extension and the perl version of squeezeserver.

Regards b1ackmai1er.

Offline b1ackmai1er

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »

Try contacting the guy at this site: http://www.serfez.net/wiki/doku.php?id=tinycore:start

He has a great resource showing how to compile extensions and seems to be working on a similar project.

Regards b1ackmai1er.