WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Symantec Ghost on TCL?  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Les Izmor

Symantec Ghost on TCL?
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
 At work, we use Symantec  Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 , which includes
a Linux version  of Ghost 11.5.1.
 The Ghost Boot Wizard  creates a  Ghost boot cd  based on  Thinstation 
Linux.
 The Linux version of Symantec Ghost  also seemed to work o.k with
Puppy Linux . All I had to do was click on the Ghost executable , and
the program worked and looked just like the windows version.
I was able to save an image of my usb stick to a windows NTFS  partition.

O.K.  so I thought I'd try to run the Linux version of Ghost  using TCL.
I used the TCL boot cd then mounted the usb stck which had the Ghost
executable  on it.
When  I click on the program, nothing happens at all .
Any suggestions? ,Or is this an impossibility?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Symantec Ghost on TCL?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
Most likely an issue of needed libraries not installed.  What does it say when you try to run the executable through a command prompt?  Or better, what does it say to the command "ldd /path/to/executable". Ldd output would be most helpful.

Offline Les Izmor

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
Hi Jason!
Thanks for the response.

Using the command "ldd  ./ghost"   displays the message :  "statically linked"

Using the command prompt  ( sudo ./ghost) got the Ghost GUI working,
but  the Ghost program instantly displayed the message: "Internal Error 36000. An internal inconsistency has been detected."
After closing the Ghost Gui,  the command prompt also displays the message about error 36000, but also displays the message : "Segmentation Fault".

There is also a ghosterr.txt file generated by Ghost ,so I'll make that an attachment.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Interesting to observe how it tries to process all the mounted sfs loops...   :P
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:06:22 AM »
If you have support available for your product (i.e. from Symantec) it would probably be best to contact them.

Offline filoo95

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
first, sorry, I don't speak english.

I have the same problem.

before, I use ghost 11.5 (with use of ghostcast protocol) on Tinycore 2.11 and that work perfectly !!!

But for new hardware support, I need to change kernel. Ok I try Tinycore 3.2 (yes new hardware supported !). And ... ghost don't work ! (sometime ghost error : 36000 (or ghost don't appear), and always error "segmentation fault" on text console)

I have not found exacly the problem, but I try to rebuild kernel (2.6.35 and 2.6.33.3) but without the Tinycore patch and .config of Tinycore.

Result : Tinycore is not fully fonctionnal (normal I'm not expert of the Linux kernel and Tinycore options and pacth is not used), but ghost work!!!

I search again the source of the problem...

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
first, sorry, I don't speak english.

I have the same problem.

before, I use ghost 11.5 (with use of ghostcast protocol) on Tinycore 2.11 and that work perfectly !!!

But for new hardware support, I need to change kernel. Ok I try Tinycore 3.2 (yes new hardware supported !). And ... ghost don't work ! (sometime ghost error : 36000 (or ghost don't appear), and always error "segmentation fault" on text console)

I have not found exacly the problem, but I try to rebuild kernel (2.6.35 and 2.6.33.3) but without the Tinycore patch and .config of Tinycore.

Result : Tinycore is not fully fonctionnal (normal I'm not expert of the Linux kernel and Tinycore options and pacth is not used), but ghost work!!!

I search again the source of the problem...

Rather interesting...
But you do not mention how you configured the kernel.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tclfan

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:41:42 AM »
I am curious of why not use boot Ghost CD? That should work and perform its function of imaging...

Offline filoo95

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »
I have found the source of the ghost problem (not the cause!)

Ok, in my last message I say my compilled kernels work with ghost. In reality, that work because I don't remasterise my initrd, with compatible modules, and the modules can't load with my kernels.

Ok, I must work more cleanly

First I apply tinycore patchs for kernel 2.6.33.3 and use officiel tinycore .config
I compile kernel AND modules and update my initrd modules.

But surprise, in my modules, the module kernel/misc/ramzswap.ko is missing !

I remasterise one initrd with old ramzswap, and one initrd without this module.

I try...and :
with old ramzswap : GHOST don't work with error segmentation fault (and 36000 sometime)
without ramzswap : GHOST WORK !!!

Ok, this module can be disabled by "embed" boot option, I try with original kernel, initrd and embed option :

GHOST is fonctionnal  :)

it is curious that the lack ramswap module, using the patches and the original config file. And coincidence?! with it, ghost generates a segmentation fault

To tclfan : I use Tinycore with PXE (netboot) to remaster WinXP computers with avanced manipulation of files, registry and sysprep after the image is downloaded by Ghost., and use nfs and cifs shares. I have used other OS (WinPe, DOS...). Tinycore is the better compromise between speed and fonctionality

SORRY, FOR MY ENGLISH LANGUAGE !

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
Perhaps your findings would be worth filing a bug with the manufacturer of Ghost.   ;)

Offline funguy

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »
Old post but I used this knowledge to make the tutorial here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12613.0.html