Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Hi From New Zealand!

(1/1)

leighos:
Greetings everyone,

I have just started delving into the world of Tiny Core Linux, so far I really like what I see!

I have a HP T5700 Thin Client that was given to me by a friend and I thought it would make an excellent media centre / internet appliance, it has a very low power consumption and is totally silent, plus very small form factor and looks nice next to my TV :)

So far I haven't had much luck with it, it uses XP embedded and doesn't run very well browsing internet or running VLC (that is all I really want from it anyway) so I thought it might run better on Linux? What do you guys think?

It has a 1000mhz processor, 512mb RAM and a 256MB DOM (onboard flash instead of HD)

I followed the installation tutorial for TC 3.0 almost to the letter, I only replaced mounting of the source HDC with SDA1 because it has no optical drive (I made a LiveUSB using Universal-USB-Installer-v1.7.6 from pendrivelinux)

So far so good, except it wont boot - I get:

Booting 'tinycore'
Kernel /boot/bzImage quiet
Error 15: File not found
Press any key to continue

Now I have done a search on this and can confirm I did use a capitol i (I) when inputting this, so I must be doing something else wrong?

tinypoodle:
To be more light on resources usage you might consider using mplayer as an alternative over vlc.
e.g. Mplayer-nodeps and optionally SMplayer as a frontend.

Found this:

http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/grub-error-15-debianubuntu/

not sure to which extent it helps in your specific case.

curaga:
HW: Yeah, it looks much better for linux. It seems to have a Transmeta Crusoe plus Ati Rage XC 8mb graphics.

The Transmetas are much, much better on linux; to my surprise, they have no proper power management under windows (!). Yet under linux they scale frequencies just fine.

On the Ati Rage, GL 1.2 and IIRC XV till 1024x1024. But it's a mach64, and the whole kernel part for it has been removed some years ago - so no accel in X, opengl, or xv video. You could try to hunt it down and see if it compiles still though.
You do have one possibility, one of the Mplayer builds with (x)vidix. I think vidix accel did not need DRM, and it worked great when I last tried on a mach64 card.
Vidix output requires root powers.

Grub issue: When in grub shell (press c from the menu), try to tab-complete both the root drive and then check the files are there, ie

root (hd, # tab, choose right one, enter
cat /boot/ # tab, just to see if files are there, don't cat them ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version