WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Network Connection Problem  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Mid_Si

Network Connection Problem
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:03:01 AM »
Hi Guys

I have installed TC on my thin client box. It boots up fine but does not connect to the ethernet.

Ifconfig suggests that eth0 has been detected fine, but it won't seem to get an IP address. If you go into network config in the control panel, you can select to use dhcp but when you go back into it dhcp is turned off again. The hardware worked fine under a DSL install so I'm guessing its not a hardware problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as searching the net seems to reveal nothing.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Network Connection Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
Try dhcp manually in a terminal, see if it can get a lease.

sudo killall udhcpc
sudo udhcpc -i eth0
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Mid_Si

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »

Hi curaga

No joy I'm afraid. It just sits there saying 'Sending Discover' :(

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:53:42 AM »
You could try to set an IP manually:
Code: [Select]
sudo ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.x.xx
Must be within range acceptable to router and not being associated with any other client already.
Then try:
ping 'IP of router'
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Mid_Si

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:18:03 AM »

Many thanks for the advice, I ran DSL in live mode to get my network IP address then input this in TC and it seems to work. It still seems a bit strange that it won't acquire the IP on its own through DHCP. Anyone have any ideas why DHCP might not work? I get the feeling its something trivial like an incorrect line in a file somewhere?

Also, a colleague of mine has the same linux box, same TC install but when he inputs the fixed IP and tries to load up the app list, it just hangs there as though loading and does nothing. Both boxes work fine with ethernet using DSL so its definitely not a hardware problem  ???

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:55:54 AM »
If you assign a static address, there are a few more steps needed to get internet:
in a root shell:
route add default gw 'IP of router'
echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' > /etc/resolv.conf
NOTE: This is valid, assuming you have only one netork interface.
'8.8.8.8' is just for simplicity, you can use DNS server of your preference instead.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Mid_Si

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:39 AM »

Excellent, we solved the problem of the other machine and the fixed IP, it was a problem with the network mask in the end.

Fixed IPs aren't going to be a long term solution though, as we had an email this morning saying our work network is moving over to be fully DHCP  :(