Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

openssh connection refused

(1/2) > >>

mc006:
Hi,
I have installed openssh, i.e. client and server. when i try to test and execute ssh localhost, i get error saying connection refused. How do i check if ssh server is running and listening on port 22. where is the config file.
when i do df -h i can see entry /dev/loop43 /tmp/tcloop/openssh

Thanks

althalus:
A fair indication of whether SSH is running:

--- Code: ---ps aux | grep sshd
--- End code ---
Is something running on port 22?

--- Code: ---netstat -at | grep -e "22\|ssh"
--- End code ---
Netstat can also be coerced to show what application is using what port, but I'll leave that as an excercise to the reader (hint: Google) (It may also require the full netstat, rather than the busybox version)

Config files for applications will more often than not be in /usr/local/etc, so for SSH I'd check /usr/local/etc/ssh

The init script (if the application has one) will similarly usually appear in /usr/local/etc/init.d

TC doesn't (usually) start applications by default, that's what the /home/tc/.X.d folder and /opt/bootlocal.sh are for. (.X.d for desktop applications (conky, pigin, etc) and bootlocal.sh for services (ssh, apache, etc))

ophiry:
Indeed, sshd doesn't start automatically when installed.
I believe there's a boot code that will start the daemon automatically, or you can add it to bootlocal.sh.

before starting the daemon, you may need a few other steps:
1. create keys for the daemon
2. by default sshd doesn't allow users with no password (such as tc) or the root user to login.
you'll need to either override these limitations in the configuration files, or add\modify the users.

Ophir

^thehatsrule^:

--- Quote from: ophiry on July 28, 2010, 10:09:21 PM ---I believe there's a boot code that will start the daemon automatically [...]

--- End quote ---
That was removed (a while ago)

mc006:
Hi,
thanks i got it working now....
by default when try to start openssh using ./openssh start, it looks for sshd_config file which you can create by cp the sshd_config.example file. The issue is that when it does not find the sshd_config file it displays the error output stating that there is no sshdd_config file.....this is where the error is it should state sshd_config and not sshdd_config....minor error...

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version