Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

norestore still mounts /dev/hda?

(1/1)

vr:
I'm passing norestore at boot up (v2.10) to prevent reading a failed tiny core usbinstall on /dev/hda1 but hda1 still gets mounted to /mnt/hda1 and I can't unmount it once the GUI is available.

Is there another option I can pass at boot time that won't mount /dev/hda1 but still permit me to use usbinstall to re-write my failed /dev/hda1?

gerald_clark:
You also need 'base' so the tce directory is not mounted.

vr:
I'm a little closer... excluding base prevents me from being able to:

mount -r /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

which I'm thinking I need to do in order to gain access to a bzImage?

USBINSTALL asks for the path to bzImage or tinycore.gz or microcore.gz.

Is there another way to get bzImage?

Or another way to mount my Tiny Core installer to satisfy the USBInstall routine?

roberts:
bzImage and tinycore are available as direct downloads from the distribution file area of the respective release, e.g., for 3.0: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/distribution_files/

thane:
You could try burning the Tiny Core ISO to a CD on another box and booting your TC box from that (make sure your BIOS is set to look for the CD first). If you boot from the CD with your USB stick plugged in but using bootcodes base norestore waitusb=5 it doesn't mount the stick but the usbinstall program can find it. After booting you can mount the CD to read what's needed to install to the USB stick. This needs an internet connection though because usbinstall requires a couple of extensions. When it does the install usbinstall will overwrite whatever is on the USB stick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version