WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: installation going well, until installing grub, i get "no such file or directory  (Read 2617 times)

Offline ejames82

hi it's me again.  installing tinycore on another computer that should be in the landfill.
it's the same model as the last one, a gateway g6-350.  it only had 64mb ram, so i borrowed 256mb from another machine.
i used gparted to prepare the partitions in advance.
it comes up nicely on the desktop.  no glitches or lockups.  i start going through the commands in the tutorial and i'm feeling arrogant.  until i get to the "6. Installing GRUB-copy over grub files".  i put this command in the terminal and enter (i also used sudo):

cp -p /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/* /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/

cp: can't stat 'usr/lib/grub/i386-pc*': no such file or directory.

instead of me messing things up even more, i thought it would be wise to ask for help from the command-line wizards. 
i should have known better than to be arrogant.
thanks in advance.
backup...backup...backup

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
You skipped the part where you install the grub extension.

Offline ejames82

Hi gerald_clark,

my fault.  i should have installed the "grub-0.97-splash.tcz" and overlooked it.  i thought it was part of the partitioning chores.  since i used gparted, i thought i could bypass that part.  i didn't notice the grub chores.
i went and installed the grub-0.97-splash.tcz and got no error message this time with the command.
i think i ought to keep this thread alive though, in case i have more problems.  though i don't think there will be any.
thanks again. 
backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

another successful installation.
thanks gerald_clark.
this is one great forum.
backup...backup...backup

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
You are welcome. Enjoy.

Offline maro

As this is not the first time this question has come up (and quite a while ago on my very first attempt I had encountered exactly the same) I wonder whether an additional remark should be included in the respective section.

Maybe changing
    Copy over GRUB files:
to
    Copy over GRUB files (please note that the grub-0.97-splash.tcz will need to be installed as mentioned in step 1):
will prevent new users to run repeatedly into this issue.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Installation Guide http://tinycorelinux.com/install.html#6_Installing_GRUB has been updated.
Thanks for the suggestion.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline ejames82

thanks gerald_clark, maro, and roberts.

this was clearly my mistake.  nonetheless, i am very pleased to see that a modification was enacted.  there's a great positive energy at this forum.
the overall combination of software and personnel here is impressive.

backup...backup...backup

Offline maro

Argh, if only I could write half a sentence without stuffing it up: the word "extension" got lost somewhere between my brain and the typed message. So it should have been:
    Copy over GRUB files (please note that the grub-0.97-splash.tcz extension will need to be installed as mentioned in step 1):

Robert, would you please correct my mistake.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Updated.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.