WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Remaster Script  (Read 28181 times)

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: Remaster Script
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »
I have been working on making a VirtualBox-OSE extension that I hope to wrap it up this weekend.  In the meantime I just submitted the OSE Guest Additions as a tcz for 2.x.  Although it does require Xorg for the X related functions, shared folders will work from a terminal.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
I had the same dependency on X when I built open-vm-tools, so I built two versions: open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-withx. There was a 2x difference in size and number of dependencies when including X, but I also wanted a small extension which would include the kernel modules and simple stuff. Basically, an extension that works for microcore and one that will work for tinycore.

Offline TooFar

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 02:03:32 PM »
I used the script to simply test the size of the resultant tinycore.gz compared to the downloadable one, the file size increased by 4MB, does anyone have the config file that was used to build the downloadable tinycore.gz, I would like to see the options that are used by this config compared to config-... that is used by the script.

Offline sonu

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 01:50:05 AM »
I reckon this script should be added to the desktop menu....just like in DSL... "Make Remaster CD" and prompt the user where they want to save the iso...

God I love this distro...i always though DSL was the best you could get for under 50Mb...but tinycore blew me away....i was banging my head trying to mount windows partition in DSL using Qemu...i tried smbclient and this and that....and when i found tinycore i seen the FAQ and i was accessing windows in less than 5 minute of downloading tinycore...

but i am after all a n00b...so i will be spamming the forum with stupid questions pretty soon.
 ;D

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
I split building the kernel into a separate script. I attached it to help anyone trying to rebuild the kernel.  It references a kernel/ directory in the same directory as the script. This directory should have: linux-2.6.29.1.tar.bz2, config-2.6.29.1-tinycore, and 2.6.29.1-tinycore.patch (uncompress the .gz first!) files in it. It also compiles the 1.x kernel if you have the appropriate source files in the kernel/ directory.

It takes one parameter, the name of your specialized config file, which it copies into the build directory as .config at the appropriate time. You can also add a "-n" switch to skip building the kernel. This leaves the files in /tmp/kernel so you can make menuconfig and customize your .config.

This script builds in /tmp/kernel, so make sure you have about 1GB of RAM when you build.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:00:18 PM by danielibarnes »

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
I use Tiny Core Linux to create virtual appliances, and since I like to keep things current I frequently remaster it.

Do you have a prebuilt virtual appliance that I can download by any chance?  With official vmware tools installed?

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
I don't have a pre-built virtual appliance. I usually just remaster an .iso image with the extensions I need. There are a couple extensions I've neglected to finish but are almost complete: an updated open-vm-tools and vm-scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore.

I don't redistribute the official VMware Tools, but I can help you compile them for yourself after I get these two tasks out of the way. It's been a long time since I've used the official Tools.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
There are a couple extensions I've neglected to finish but are almost complete: an updated open-vm-tools and vm-scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore.

Once you're done with those, will adding the open-vm-tools extension to an ordinary VM support arbitrary screen resize, copy-paste from VM to host and time synchronization between VM and host?

Or do these features need a complete remaster?

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
will adding the open-vm-tools extension to an ordinary VM support arbitrary screen resize, copy-paste from VM to host and time synchronization between VM and host?

I will test each of those things and let you know.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
will adding the open-vm-tools extension to an ordinary VM support arbitrary screen resize, copy-paste from VM to host and time synchronization between VM and host?

Just tested and they all seem to work.  Except copy-paste with files, rather than text.  Is a file manager other than the default FileMgr required?

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
From http://mentoliptus.blogspot.com/2006/06/vmware-player-drag-n-drop-howto.html:
"In the case of a Linux based virtual machine and a Windows host, VMware Player only supports textual copy and paste between them"

Better to use Shared Folders if you want to transfer files.