WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SliTaz review at Distrowatch  (Read 9958 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
SliTaz review at Distrowatch
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
There is a nice SliTaz review at Distrowatch. Quote from the article:

"There is a difference between what a system is and how it feels and that distinction is very noticeable in SliTaz. Through much of my test run with this distribution I kept searching my mind for other, similar operating systems so I could make a comparison. Take, for example, SliTaz's amazingly small image size of 30 MB. It's smaller even than the last release of DSL. But, aside from the unbelievable speed, the two systems don't feel anything alike. Where DSL was packed with useful applications, it didn't have the same smooth, modern look that SliTaz carries. This distribution lets the user create their own flavours, allowing for further customization. In fact, one of the flavours of SliTaz runs in less than 64 MB of RAM. In this respect, the distro reminds me of Puppy. But again, that's where the similarities come to a halt."

Read more: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100111#feature
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tclfan

Re: SliTaz review at Distrowatch
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:29:48 AM »
I have been playing with various versions of SliTaz in the past couple of years and tested the latest Cooking flavors. No doubt it it a very nice system... However, the only problem I have is that the release cycle is too slow in my opinion - one a year. I do not see that big difference in this years planned vs. last year release. Changes appear incremental.  This is not cutting edge, latest and greatest kernel and applications the way Parted Magic is doing. However it is relatively modular (Not nearly as modular as TCL, though...). I find TCL far more flexible and with the development cycle SliTaz tends to stay behind on being cutting edge.

Offline julianb

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:41 AM »
I tried Slitaz recently. Extra points for dealing with French language pretty well. First EEEpc I tried it out on, it couldn't recognize the wireless card.

Second EEEpc I tried it out on, Xorg couldn't handle my monitor.

Too bad, because the French language support seems pretty good, and the OS leaves plenty of room for OpenOffice3 and the like.

I plan to try Slitaz some more, especially if Lubuntu continues to be problematic.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:01:40 AM »
What is about TC on these machines (wireless, Xorg) ?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tclfan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
I tried Slitaz recently. Extra points for dealing with French language pretty well. First EEEpc I tried it out on, it couldn't recognize the wireless card.

Second EEEpc I tried it out on, Xorg couldn't handle my monitor.

Too bad, because the French language support seems pretty good, and the OS leaves plenty of room for OpenOffice3 and the like.

I plan to try Slitaz some more, especially if Lubuntu continues to be problematic.
No wonder - SliTaz (made in Switzerland) was documented in French, with some English translations.
From my experience both Xorg and network implementation is much better in TinyCore.  SliTaz Xorg implementation does not work properly on my T23 Thinkpad, while TinyCore Xorg works. maybe thanks to HAL-less and confless... Some network cards SliTaz could not recognize, while TinyCore did...

Offline grigori

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »
What is about TC on these machines (wireless, Xorg) ?
восстановление зрения

I guess Xorg is realy slowly system.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:01:53 AM by grigori »

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 03:34:51 AM »
I chose mc for its extreme and simple customization, however, I left some time ago because xorg does not work on my pc.
Now I'm back because with version 3.x and xorg 7.5 everything worked properly, I think it is thanks to the development model although sometimes I found some closure in the discussion of new ideas.
An example was the recursivity of repository, the first time I suggested there was much remonstrance, on my return instead I found the change already done.
Tiny reflects all the features I was looking for a distro without compromise, rolling-release, minimal installation (basically network), plus features that make me happy as portability. ram boot and security can not do damage  :D.
I think distros like slitaz, dsl or PuppyLinux could not satisfy me fully.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:38:24 AM by vinnie »

Offline tclfan

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:42 AM »
Vinnie,
I fully agree on TinyCore.
However I would not put SliTaz next to Puppy or DSL. Puppy and DSL run as root and I this defeats usefullness of such systems beyond occasional, for security principles...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »
DSL didn't run as root, but its antique software does make it a target nonetheless.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.