WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: grub2 issues errors wiki etc  (Read 4040 times)

aus9

grub2 issues errors wiki etc
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
hi

Thanks to maro and Jason W for 2x and 3x series for grub2 and related packages.

---------------------------------------

I do not have any issues using grub2 but am aware its not very popular with TC users at the moment. Therefore I am hoping the mods will tolerate a singe subject for people to complain, discuss, their borked grub2 or compliment their success....or if unwilling to edit the wiki..their wish to discuss things here.

If I detect a common mis-understanding....I will change the wiki. Wiki is unofficial documentation so other users can change it too.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/gfx

------

If you do have an issue, I prefer you first try the core.img way and not proceed to the MBR way.

If you have any errors feel free to post here. Mention things we can not guess such as ...its your internal drive install, virtual machine install , LVM, raid, password etc.

If one particular menuentry is the issue post that...if not sure, post whole grub.cfg in a code box please.

I have no problem if no-one has any errors or issues or do not want to offer any feedback.

I am fond of grub2 so may design a menuentry if wiki is deficient  for you.

Try at own risk of course.

I am not a programmer or script expert, so I hope others can help if any query is beyond me. As I live in Australia, I have no problem if you answer other people's queries before I have a chance to do so. (I am mainly the wiki author)

-----------

For those who read forums and not wikis....grub2 is designed by Jason W to install and requires you to create or copy-edit a grub.cfg which acts as an absolute config file just like grub-legacy's menu.lst

regards

gordy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:02:54 PM by aus9 »

Offline newbody

Re: grub2 issues errors wiki etc
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Yes but the link from wiki goes to this thread so it would be even more confusing to start a new one.

My text

I am trying to learn how to use TCL to install grub2 to usb and have TCL and Puppy and many others there on that usb flash memory.

Found this thread from and entry here

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/GRUB2_from_GRUB1 But when I read your text above and go to
the gfx thing then there are no text there. Maybe it has moved to another place?
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/gfx

there it says
There are no wiki pages similar to 'gfx'

gfx does that stand for grub fix ?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:13:42 AM by newbody »
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
Not being familiar with grub, but I'd bet it means "graphics".
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »
Though the gfx page mentioned above is not there, the wiki article seems pretty complete for showing a grub2 setup.

Offline newbody

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »
I'd bet it means "graphics".

TinyPoodle, you are correct.

So what was that text about then. Doesn't the wiki still link to it? :) No hurry now I know that is hopefully taking care of then.

Thanks Jason I give it a try.
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
I think it's the same one... was renamed as gfx didn't seem descriptive.