WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: /opt/tce policy  (Read 3092 times)

Offline jls

/opt/tce policy
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:44:52 AM »
in case of non persistent opt:
if no copy 2 fs is choosen extensions are linked without reason (everything is in ram).
if there is copy 2 fs there is no reason for them to keep stayin' under /opt/tce/optional
dCore user

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: /opt/tce policy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:49:39 AM »
The intended use for /opt/tce is for easy mode remastered CD only. Being on a CD implies being static and therefore not subject to the other extension utilities. Only a single dynamic TCE directory is supported. As I stated /opt/tce is for remastered CD so as to to allow such remastered CD to be able to support our normal dynamic TCE directory, i.e., one static extension collection on CD and one dynamic collection in typically specified TCE directory.  Any other unintended use of /opt/tce is not supported.   
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
Does all the same apply for netboot (in my specific case with dynamic root filesystem remastering according to instuctions in wiki) as what is mentioned for CD?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
Is there more documentation about this anywhere? I'm still wondering what /opt/tce is for...
Also where do I buy the "easy mode"?

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
Don't need to buy anything..?  What is written in the second post is what it is for.

If you want to emulate the read-only environment, you could do so (it doesn't actually check if the medium used was a CD).

Offline hiro

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »
I was just joking, but I will rephrase my actual questions.
Is easy mode remastering == dynamic root filesystem remastering ?
Do you fill /opt/tce by adding a second initrd archive, or is there an other way to fill /opt/tce expect dynamic remastering?
Then /opt/tce will always have to be copied to RAM, right?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
Net booting uses /opt/tce for tftp or http loaded extensions.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
Ah ok :) "dynamic root filesystem remastering" is actually just a method of modifying the initramfs using multiple files, so that users don't need to modify the upstream file.  For lack of a better term, "regular remastering" is modifying only the upstream one.  In short, it is not directly related and you can choose whatever you prefer.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
Do you fill /opt/tce by adding a second initrd archive, or is there an other way to fill /opt/tce expect dynamic remastering?

If you are looking for a simple way to remaster the initrd to include extensions in /opt/tce, you might want to take a look at this:   http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6645.0   It is primarily designed to remaster a Tiny Core CD, but you can just as easily use it to remaster the initrd for USB/Hard drive installs.  Just go through the wizard and the remastered initrd will be saved to /tmp/tc_remaster/image/boot/tinycore.gz.  With this tool, it will allow you to add extensions to /opt/tce in the initrd, or you can have it extract the extensions directly into the initrd (all files from the extension are copied to the initrd root filesystem)

Brian

Offline hiro

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 03:34:32 AM »
Still noone has answered these two questions:
What is easy mode remastering?
Does the content of /opt/tce have to be copied to RAM in any case?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:38 AM »
/opt/tce is in ram unless your are using the opt= bootcode.

Offline hiro

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
Ah,  i think i understand it now.
When I want I can have tcedir=/tmp/tce but still load a bunch of extensions on boot by specifying the opt= bootcode (useful i.e. for wifi firmware needed to connect to the internet)
Am I right?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
You would be better served with a tce directory on persistant storage.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 03:59:04 PM »
AFAIK there is no opt= bootcode involved in case of (at least dynamical) remastering.
And yes, wireless and/or NIC drivers/firmware/tools are a good example, to have networking capability in the first place.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)