WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [TIP ??] swap sound devices with tweaks for intel sound devices  (Read 4142 times)

aus9

[TIP ??] swap sound devices with tweaks for intel sound devices
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:32:10 AM »
Hi

I have a Dell laptop with no hdmi and just your basic sound on board which TC 686 configures well with just the normal mixer level stuff as per the info file for Alsa.

For my tower, I elected to put 64 bit, and a bit of surprise for me, alsa could not detect  device until I gave it a fix..

Originally I thought I might need full pathway to executables but that appears not to be the case.

To swap my cards away from the default of HDMI, provide a fix for my device here is how I did it. There is more than one of doing it.  But without that fix for my device I saw nothing in alsamixer.

over reboot I could then run the mixer level commands but I thought I would show that alsactl accepts your own made up names and I prefer not save to the default pathway as its quicker to navigate to /opt to see the file there ...less clicks than say /usr/local/etc

You may not need any quirk or fix, but if you think you might do, run
Code: [Select]
lsmod | grep snd
modinfo <soundmodulename>

Hope your sound plays well.

###########################################

to find the correct syntax-spelling for the stuff check that lsmod command as some people might be tempted to put hyphens in there.

Secondly I think the model name is also case sensitive, so pch won't work. 

Feel free to correct me for any errors here.

I have left out other stuff my bootlocal file as this is a new install ....I have just added my dbus stuff etc..

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: [TIP ??] swap sound devices with tweaks for intel sound devices
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:33:46 AM »
Please post the commands as text, so that it's googlable.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

aus9

Re: [TIP ??] swap sound devices with tweaks for intel sound devices
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »
sure

top set to start the process
if /opt/bootlocal.sh has ownership of tc then the following command might work, otherwise prefix the echo with sudo
then reboot

For most intel users they might just want to swap devices and not need to append to the line that includes model=PCH,
various quirks or fixes such as what I needed .....position_fix=1

echo '
modprobe -r snd_hda_intel
modprobe snd_hda_intel model=PCH  index=1 ' >> /opt/bootlocal.sh

sudo reboot

after reboot
FIRST check if your sound devices have swapped with
aplay -l
then set your mixer levels

If you are running pulseaudio you need to change the alsamixer command to check the card number zero

while in the mixer, unmute/mute whatever you need to, and set your mixer levels and settings.

# for alsa users not running pulseaudio
alsamixer
# for pulseaudio users
alsamixer -c0

# change your mixer levels

# save your mixer levels
sudo alsactl -f /opt/sound.levels store

then add your restore command to bootlocal, may need to prefix the echo command with  sudo  if that file has root ownership

echo '
alsactl -f /opt/sound.levels restore' >> /opt/bootlocal.sh
sudo reboot

the last reboot command is to check if your index has swapped and volumes persist over reboot.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 04:53:35 PM by aus9 »