WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VirtualBox: Making it Run!  (Read 31061 times)

Offline PhantomTramp

Re: VirtualBox: Making it Run!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
Thanks, I will try that this evening.

I have a few "problem users" in the group who need something like this.

:D

The Tramp

Offline PhantomTramp

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 05:58:37 AM »
Kingdomcome,

Thanks, got it working despite my "newbie-ness." I still have work to do if I'm going to roll this out to problem users but I still think the basic idea is a good one.

The ideal would be to have a streamlined virtualbox-like "player" w/ a core Linux guest (or BSD, Solaris, whichever is faster and more seamless) that has a sole purpose of giving you a browser w/ java, flash, sound etc...

It would give the Windows-driveby-malware writers something new to chew on at very least.

The Tramp

Offline MrBojangles

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »
I'm surprised to see this thread has actually gotten some attention since the last time I was logged into these forums.

I feel a project like this can really take root if and when VirtuaBox has really good support for 2D and 3D graphic pass through and is able to dynamically allocate memory to VMs.

Seems like some people have had similar success as I had back when. I had Windows XP running virtualized as a guest with a TCL Host using VBox.

Just noticed Kindomcome's VBox-OSE-tcz app. Giving it a try, very cool~!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:32:51 AM by MrBojangles »

Offline kjpeter

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »
anyone having iso of tinycore with virtualbox in it? can u please ?  peterkonki at gmail.com

Offline kjpeter

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »
Hey i could install virtualbox . icon exists next to apps icon. but clicking it nothing happens. i am unable to install this to my usb drive.

Offline maro

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
@kjpeter: I've repeated (at least somewhat) your steps and can NOT confirm your report.

I booted a "plain" TC 2.11 system (without persistence, no backup, i.e. "cloud" mode) and installed 'VBox-OSE.tcz'. After clicking the icon it took on my fairly slow test system (a QEMU VM without kqemu) almost 1 minute for the VBox GUI to appear, but it seems to start OK.

If you use just the command VirtualBox inside a 'xterm' do you get any warning messages besides from the well know and harmless ones ( i.e. Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".)? Why do you think that your USB installation is faulty? Do you have other extensions installed on your USB, and how do those behave?

Offline jklmnb

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
so far i have got a .vmdk file that is 50 megs and firefox is running successfully.  hopefully someone here already has a solution to what i am trying to get working.  i would like to know if it is possible to auto detect display information from the virtualbox video driver, and could you adjust the screen size accordingly? i can upload and link my .vmdk file if anyone is interested.

also the FAQ says that flash is not supported now.  has anyone hacked up a way to get youtube videos to play?