WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ezremaster: Wizard that walks you step by step to remaster ISO of tinycore  (Read 67803 times)

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
Re: ezremaster: Wizard that walks you step by step to remaster ISO of tinycore
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
I apologise for the confusion.   I have created a new extension with the previous version of ezremaster named ezremaster-legacy.tcz.     

For Tiny Core 4.0 or 4.1, use ezremaster-legacy.tcz
For Tiny Core 4.2rc1 (when released) and later use ezremaster.tcz

Thanks,
Brian

Offline gavs

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
Brian
Thank you for your efforts. The legacy version is working for me.

gavs

Offline gavs

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
I am using Tinycore 4.1 with ezremaster-legacy.tcz and my first step is to create a remaster with alsa functioning on boot (I will later add mpd and gmpc to complete my music appliance). The target system has enough ram so I am extracting in to initrd (I assume this is the best option for a functioning music appliance with the fastest power-up). I have tried both options for the startup scripts (run in chroot or add to bootlocal). Ezremaster creates the iso successfully, but alsa is not functioning on boot (I notice that /proc/asound has not been created).

An earlier posting by littlebat suggested that 2 lines should be added at the head of the function package() in order to update modules.dep and ld.so.cache (I notice that these lines have been added to ezremaster 2.0.3). Is this the reason why an alsa remaster does not boot with alsa functioning? If so, can I easily modify /usr/local/bin/remaster.sh to include these lines (initial attempts with editor result in the error message that the filesystem is read only, even when I use run sudo editor)?

gavs

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
Hi gavs
Besides including the ALSA extension, did you provide a means to either run a setup script OR to
restore working ALSA configuration settings?

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »
I am using Tinycore 4.1 with ezremaster-legacy.tcz and my first step is to create a remaster with alsa functioning on boot (I will later add mpd and gmpc to complete my music appliance). The target system has enough ram so I am extracting in to initrd (I assume this is the best option for a functioning music appliance with the fastest power-up). I have tried both options for the startup scripts (run in chroot or add to bootlocal). Ezremaster creates the iso successfully, but alsa is not functioning on boot (I notice that /proc/asound has not been created).

An earlier posting by littlebat suggested that 2 lines should be added at the head of the function package() in order to update modules.dep and ld.so.cache (I notice that these lines have been added to ezremaster 2.0.3). Is this the reason why an alsa remaster does not boot with alsa functioning? If so, can I easily modify /usr/local/bin/remaster.sh to include these lines (initial attempts with editor result in the error message that the filesystem is read only, even when I use run sudo editor)?

gavs

Hi gavs,
It is showing read only when you try to edit remaster.sh because it is a symlink to a readonly squashfs extension.   Try this:

Code: [Select]
sudo cp /tmp/tcloop/ezremaster-legacy/usr/local/bin/remaster.sh /usr/local/bin
sudo vi /usr/local/bin/remaster.sh

Note that any changes you make to remaster.sh like this will be lost when you reboot the system.   

Ezremaster 2.0.3 includes the 2 line fix suggested by littlebat, so rather than editing remaster.sh you could use 2.0.3 along with Tiny Core 4.2rc1.   

Offline gavs

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
Rich, thank you for the suggestion. However, when I download and load ALSA, it appears that the startup scripts handle all the setup I need (the directory /proc/asound is created and executing speaker-test produces results). I find that I do not need to execute 'alsaconf' or 'alsasound start'. Perhaps that is because I am using a usb sound card. Am I missing something?

Brian, I have downloaded TinyCore 4.2rc1 and will try the remaster with 2.0.3. Thanks for the hint that 4.2rc1 was available.

gavs

Offline gavs

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
I have not been successful creating a remaster with a functioning alsa on boot. Using the option to add start scripts to bootlocal does create a bootlocal.sh with the startup scripts appended. Using the option to run start scripts in chroot option reports the error that file /etc/sysconfig/tcuser is not found. Both report that the iso was successfully created. I did not create iso CDs. Rather I copied the remastered core.gz into the boot directory of my hard drive (other files in the boot directory are comparable).

For both start option remasters, when the remaster boots the directory /proc/asound is not created and the system stats do not show any snd_ modules, unlike when alsa is downloaded and loaded from AppsBrowser. I also noted that system stats only shows alsa, alsa-config and pci-utils as installed. These 3 are the only ones with startup scripts. The other dependencies appear to be in the /usr/local directories but there are no corresponding files in tce.installed. When alsa is loaded with AppsBrowser, system stats show all the dependencies and there are empty files in tce.installed for those other than the 3 with startup scripts. Don't know if this matters.

Has anybody created a remaster with alsa that starts the sound modules on boot?

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
Hi gavs,
Please try using the "Add App inside initrd onboot" instead of "Add app extract TCZ to initrd".   Extracting will work with the majority of extensions, but it sounds like not with alsa.   Adding inside the initrd is very similar to extracting and you will still have everything contained within the core.gz file.   Please try this out and let us know if it works better for you.   

Offline gavs

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Thanks for this suggestion Brian. Using "Add App inside initrd onboot" does result in a functioning alsa setup on boot (/proc/asound is created and I can execute speaker-test right after bootup and get sound). It appears to take longer to boot than extracting though.

Offline Da Alchemist

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »
Hello,

I am usin gTinycore4.2.1an the latest ezremaster, when i use "Add app extract TCZ to initrd", i get the error message "can´t open /usr/bin/sudo"
when i try to boot the cd  (it makes no difference wich radio button is activ)

When i use "Add app extract TCZ to initrd" i get a working Cd but after installing to pendrive, my tce's could not be updatet and booting takes about 2 minutes (system hangs on syslinux 4.xx...... line)

Regards

Da Alc

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:45 PM »
Hello,

I am usin gTinycore4.2.1an the latest ezremaster, when i use "Add app extract TCZ to initrd", i get the error message "can´t open /usr/bin/sudo"
when i try to boot the cd  (it makes no difference wich radio button is activ)

When i use "Add app extract TCZ to initrd" i get a working Cd but after installing to pendrive, my tce's could not be updatet and booting takes about 2 minutes (system hangs on syslinux 4.xx...... line)

Regards

Da Alc

I'm not sure I understand, in both cases you said you use "Add app extract TCZ to initrd"?   

If you use "extract TCZ to initrd" you will not be able to update the extensions (as they are no longer extensions at that point).   

I just did a test with Tiny Core 4.2.1 using current ezremaster, and created 3 remasters (extract to initrd, inside initrd, outside initrd) all with several extensions and all were successfully created and successfully booted up.

Offline Da Alchemist

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:45 AM »
Sorry i have to apologize,

first i was a bit confused yesterday, i didnt´t read my Posting before sending it.

My mistake: Before I updated my pendrive fom 4.1 to 4.2.1 i made a backup of my tce Folder. I didnt´t realise that TC is checking every partition on my HD and booting the extension, even when the partition is not  mounted afterwards.

Now I deleted my Backup on HD and  remastered TC with "outside initrd apps onboot" and everything is working fine again.

Thanks a lot for checking!

Regards

Da Alc

Offline coreplayer2

I've been using the ezremaster-legacy for some time now, creating flawless remasters almost weekly.  But I see the writing on the wall that eventually we'll be needing to upgrade soon, so I've been attempting to make a remaster of some newly updated tinycore-4.3 installs, unfortunately I've only succeeded in making a dozen coaster..

Trying to figure out what am doing wrong here..  :-\

Maybe I should use only a mounted copy of core.iso and not tinycore.iso?  Since tinycore iso mounts a cde directory full of extensions which are additionally loaded by extract TCZ to initrd, though I've tried deleting the cde directory prior to iso creation without success. 

While I still have a box of blank cd's remaining I'll continue trying various options, I guess..

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi coreplayer2
You do know you can mount ISOs directly without burning them to disc.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
I've been using the ezremaster-legacy for some time now, creating flawless remasters almost weekly.  But I see the writing on the wall that eventually we'll be needing to upgrade soon, so I've been attempting to make a remaster of some newly updated tinycore-4.3 installs, unfortunately I've only succeeded in making a dozen coaster..

Trying to figure out what am doing wrong here..  :-\

Maybe I should use only a mounted copy of core.iso and not tinycore.iso?  Since tinycore iso mounts a cde directory full of extensions which are additionally loaded by extract TCZ to initrd, though I've tried deleting the cde directory prior to iso creation without success. 

While I still have a box of blank cd's remaining I'll continue trying various options, I guess..

I'd be happy to help figure out what is going on.   Can you please provide some additional information such as what you are trying to accomplish, steps to reproduce what you are doing, and what the problem is when you try to boot up the remaster?   Also, it would be helpful if you posted your /tmp/ezremaster/ezremaster.cfg and /tmp/ezremaster/ezremaster.log files that are created when you create the remaster.