General TC > General TC Talk

handling multiple tinycore.gz files?

(1/1)

mikshaw:
Let's assume for a minute that someone (no names mentioned, 'cause it's me) has remastered tinycore.gz beyond the point that he had originally intended, and now there's no way to boot that particular system into a clean state with which to test extensions.

Is it possible to add a clean tinycore.gz file to the same boot partition, with another name, so it could be used as a testing system?  Wouldthat require a new initrd, or just a new grub entry?

Jason W:
I haven't tried it but replacing the grub line

initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

with

initrd /boot/tinycore1.gz

should work if those are the respective names of your initrd files.  Say tinycore1.gz is a copy of the clean initrd and tinycore.gz is the remastered, whichever is which.

mikshaw:
sorry, when I asked if a new initrd would be needed, i meant a new kernel file (bzimage).  I thought maybe the bzimage points specifically to tinycore.gz

In any case, i'll try just adding a new grub entry to point to a second tinycore.gz and see how that works.

Thank you.

curaga:
It's entirely on the bootloader to load an initrd. Using a different name and grub entry should do just fine.

mikshaw:
Yes, it worked, thanks.

I tried this earlier and it failed to find init.  I assumed, since I had just renamed tinycore.gz, that that was likely the problem.  It didn't occur to me at the time that since I was experimenting with remasting that the remaster might have been messed up =o)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version