WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: question about busybox  (Read 3045 times)

Offline sandras

question about busybox
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:56:22 AM »
So I was wondering. Is busybox's speed affected because of it being a monolith? It seems to me that all the binary must be loaded to ram to be executed. And if so, my assumption that  this would be slower should be right. So is it?

Online curaga

• Administrator
Re: question about busybox
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »
We haven't done any benchmarks, but any speed difference from the loading of couple hundred kb once is likely very small. Any noticeable difference comes from targeting small size and not the fastest algorithms, such as grep vs gnu grep.

There are some speed gains due to the consolidation, as well as from having some applets executable without needing to fork/exec (like shell builtins, in principle).

Then you'd have to consider that due to TC's design it's already completely in RAM. :)
There's no additional copy involved, as tmpfs is cache already.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sandras

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
i have one more question about busybox. it's a different one, but i thought i shouldn't start a new thread.

when i compile busybox and include hostname, dnsdomainname also compiles in. can't these two go separatly?  i tried it on various versions of busybox and this keeps repeating.

also, what does dnsdomainname do? edit: shoulda looked up first ::)

sorry if these are rather silly questions. oh,a and thank's to Curaga for the previous answer. : )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:52:50 AM by Sandras »

Offline sandras

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »
I see what you mean, thanks.