WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 8 Testing  (Read 37566 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 8 Testing
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
Tiny Core v3.0 Alpha8 is now posted at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release_candidates

Change log for Alpha 8

* Cleanup of many system file permissions.
* Updated tce-audit for recursive deletions.
* Updated appsaudit added "Clear Marked for Deletion" option.

Note. Files likely in your backup that have changed permissions and need to be updated:

opt/.filetool.lst
opt/.xfiletool.lst
opt/tcemirror

Notes: When using the updated "Mark for Deletion" in Apps Audit, check by also using
"Display Marked for Deletion" and if needed/desired the new "Clear Marked for Deletion"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:17:26 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline meo

Re: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 8 Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:23:52 AM »
TinyCore Team!

Everything seems to work just as it should so thank you for your effort i making TinyCore 3.0 progress. I guess that a RC is coming soon. One thing that I noticed that somewhat puzzled me is that the .filetool.lst file by default contains opt/backgrounds in TinyCore 2.11.5 but not so in TinyCore 3.0 ALPHA 8. Is there some reason for this? Thanks again!

Have fun developing TinyCore further,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline althalus

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
One thing I would like to see is a generalisation of the $ICONS/wbar stuff.

I am building/testing tablaunch, as it has auto-hide, something I sorely miss in wbar, and I'd like to be able to update it when a new extension is loaded. For my own setup, I can happily hack away at whatever part of TC to get it to do what I want, but that's not really practical for something I may submit for the repo later.

One solution could be a directory into which scripts of this nature could be dropped, and have /usr/bin/desktop.sh run the scripts in that dir, but I'm sure there are other ways to do so.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:59 AM »
@althalus: if you set the unfocused alpha to 0 (-falfa 0), it's invisible until a mouse over.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline althalus

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
I tried combining -falfa with -always-ontop to try and get the same behaviour as something that properly auto-hides, but unfortunately I get an ugly square of my background stop on top of any windows in wbar's way. Leaving out the -always-ontop still leaves wbar in the position of being stuck behind my windows where I can't use it. Unfortunately at this point in time, wbar still just doesn't cut it for me, at least not until it has a proper auto-hide feature, so I stand by my original request in this topic.

For now I've remastered TC and replaced the wbar_icon_upd.sh script with one that does the same for tablaunch, but I'd like to be able to submit tablaunch to the repo complete with a script to have it automatically update when new extensions are installed.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
This is not directly related to Alpha 8 but all versions. Alpha testing cycle is a good time to mention.

fltk library which comes with TC base is compiled with --disable-threads option which blocks certain applications (in my case fldigi) linking against it. I replaced libraries in base with libs compiled with --enable-threads. I got a slightly bigger libs but compilation error message

undefined reference to `Fl::lock()'

is gone. I kindly ask to update libs in base. It is just one application now, but there may be others requiring this option.  >:(
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »
I see the solid background color bug is still there.

For example, if I set the color to 0.345-0.491-0.667 (R-G-B), next time round it comes up with 0.346-0.440-0.001.

The blue always seems to be much smaller than the previously set value.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »
It seems there is a problem with the development tool chain, see topic

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6621.0
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 04:04:21 AM »
This is not directly related to Alpha 8 but all versions. Alpha testing cycle is a good time to mention.

fltk library which comes with TC base is compiled with --disable-threads option which blocks certain applications (in my case fldigi) linking against it. I replaced libraries in base with libs compiled with --enable-threads. I got a slightly bigger libs but compilation error message

undefined reference to `Fl::lock()'

is gone. I kindly ask to update libs in base. It is just one application now, but there may be others requiring this option.  >:(

Well, one possible solution is to have these libs available in a tcz extension, for example the current fltk-xft.tcz  compiled with threads not to increase number of fltk variations. Anyhow, base would be better  ;)
Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »
I see the solid background color bug is still there.

For example, if I set the color to 0.345-0.491-0.667 (R-G-B), next time round it comes up with 0.346-0.440-0.001.

The blue always seems to be much smaller than the previously set value.
Got it fixed.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
I tried combining -falfa with -always-ontop to try and get the same behaviour as something that properly auto-hides, but unfortunately I get an ugly square of my background stop on top of any windows in wbar's way. Leaving out the -always-ontop still leaves wbar in the position of being stuck behind my windows where I can't use it. Unfortunately at this point in time, wbar still just doesn't cut it for me, at least not until it has a proper auto-hide feature, so I stand by my original request in this topic.

For now I've remastered TC and replaced the wbar_icon_upd.sh script with one that does the same for tablaunch, but I'd like to be able to submit tablaunch to the repo complete with a script to have it automatically update when new extensions are installed.

I am implementing generic support for icon manager like that of desktop window manager.
You will be able to have tablaunch function like wbar.  Fully supported.

Offline althalus

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 01:19:53 AM »
I am implementing generic support for icon manager like that of desktop window manager.
You will be able to have tablaunch function like wbar.  Fully supported.
Again, many thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 03:48:18 AM »
Looks like the libpng.so symlink changed between alpha7 and 8. I don't think this should've happened; it should still point to libpng12.so, not to libpng.so.3 as it now does.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
Hi all!

Just wanted to mention that clamav seems to need some fixing to work with tinycore 3.0. After issuing the command: freshclam I get the following error message: ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /usr/local/etc/clamav/freshclam.conf and that also is the case using sudo.

Have fun making TinyCore progress,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 01:44:13 PM »
Clamav:  likely just an extension issue, I will look into it.

Thanks for reporting but please open a thread in the TCE Bugs section for any further discussion on it.