WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 7 Testing  (Read 35338 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 7 Testing
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
On binaries it's fine, but the readme says it breaks linking against shared libs.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
Just tried opera10 on tc3alpha7 and received the following:

Code: [Select]
tc@tstbox:~$ opera  
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/usr/local/lib/opera/10.10/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libEGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Edit: removed opera10 using panel apps audit tool and reinstalled it. Same results as above.
Edit2: removed all extensions in "optional" and reinstalled them still same results as above. See attached file for extension list.
Edit3: booting base norestore followed by local opera10  install still get above errors.

Note: the wbar icon and menu entry fail as well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:45:21 PM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline taxus

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
testing microcore 3.0 alpha 7:
I have to create a symlink /usr/lib/libao.so.2 which links to /usr/local/lib/libao.so.4
to make mpd work....???

Oh and by the way, first post here, so hello to everyone! :)

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
gerald_clark, curaga: Yes, I did not really expect any problems with the new acx.ko module in Alpha7.  I just tested it with Alpha7 and (of course) it works fine.

Another observation: on recent booting of Alpha6 and Alpha7 on this Dell Inspiron 5100, I see a set of "Bus error" messages on the console, but I can't find a corresponding set of messages in the dmesg output.  This seems benign... I don't notice any problem once TC starts.  Anyone else see messages like this?  EDIT: I rebooted a few few times with just a bare "base norestore" boot option list, and did not see the bus error messages.  I did again with my normal:

TCE=hdc4/tclinux_3_0 RESTORE=hdc4/tclinux_3_0 laptop

boot options and saw the bus errors again.  Just before this, there is something about a udev rule .  I'll try again with the pause boot option and make another edit.

EDIT2: Ok, there is first some "text file busy" errors for /etc/init.d/rc.5 on line 459, then a message that /etc/udev/rules.d/75-cd-dvd.rules "cannot be read", then the multiple "Bus errors", then a message about "intel_rng: FWH not detected" (which I've always seen on this laptop).

Again, this stuff seems benign, but looks like something is wrong.  I don't have a CD drive installed on this laptop, if it makes any difference to udevd.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:55:17 PM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »
bigpcman: I think that lib is available in Xorg-7.5

taxus: posted in http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6462.msg34237#msg34237
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:49:21 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:24 AM »
Hmm, looks like qt-4.x now depends on Xorg itself (and doesn't mention that in the dep file). Added for now.

@Mike: do you by any chance store tinycore.gz/microcore.gz in your tce dir?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:46:56 AM by curaga »

Offline robc

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
the libEGL in the Xorg extension seems to be critical to many applications to run, should it be included within the base rather then in the Xorg extension, or in the Xorg-libs extension instead?
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:34:27 AM »
@ curaga: Yes, for testing Alpha6 and Alpha7, I made my boot kernel directory, TCE directory, and restore directory all the same, and specify each one explicitly in the GRUB boot stanza.  Is it better to keep them separate?

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:56 AM »
the libEGL in the Xorg extension seems to be critical to many applications to run, should it be included within the base rather then in the Xorg extension, or in the Xorg-libs extension instead?
I'd vote for the second option, moving libEGL from Xorg-7.5.tcz to Xorg-7.5-libs.tcz.

libEGL.so is about 50kb in size, Xorg-7.5.tcz takes about 10MB, Xorg-7.5-libs.tcz 180kB. Moving it would drop the need for "the fat thing" Xorg-7.5.tcz for any application that uses libEGL.so, like in my case qt-4.x-base.tcz, and the result of 200kB to 230kB would be a quick load, especially compared to the 10MB of Xorg-7.5.tcz.

Xorg-7.5.tcz itself has a dependency on Xorg-7.5-libs.tcz, so there's no case where libEGL.so would not be loaded when installing Xorg-7.5.tcz.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
@EGL: since it's a Khronos lib for interfacing with OpenGL and OpenVG, any actual functions of it would likely fail without Xorg. Doesn't seem to depend directly on libGL though. I'll sleep on it.

@Mike: I believe storing the main gz in the tce dir is what causes that (or any other files ending in .gz). If you can confirm that, then we should probably document that somewhere.

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »
@Mike: I believe storing the main gz in the tce dir is what causes that (or any other files ending in .gz). If you can confirm that, then we should probably document that somewhere.
I ran into that kind of problem by booting TCL in that configuration with "user=xxx". Here's what happens: the boot process creates the new account and modifies /etc/passwd. Shortly after that /usr/bin/tce-setup overwrites /etc/passwd, removing the user again -> the boot fails very mysteriously. Took me the about an hour to figure that out. Moving .../tce/tinycore.gz to .../tce/boot/tinycore.gz fixed that problem.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
@curaga: Isolating my tce and personal data files in subdirectories cleared up the boot messages!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Here's what I have now:

/mnt/hdc4
    /tclinux_3_0
        bzImage
        tinycore.gz
        /data
            mydata.gz
        /tce
            onboot.lst
            /optional
                 (my set of extensions)

My GRUB configuration spells this out for booting.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
Testing Alpha7 on my ASUS eeePC 1000.  Works well overall and pretty similar to the older version 2.10 (most recent I had on here), but the trackpad in TC 3.0 Alpha 7 has the following issues compared to the 2.x series:

1) Very "jumpy" mouse movement at the default mouse speed, like the mouse pointer can be at locations X= 0, 7, 15... but not in-between.  Fortunately, setting the mouse speed in the control panel applet to very low values (1 or 2) makes the movement finer-grained, without loosing too much speed

2) No two-finger swipe for scrolling (2.x allowed use of 2-finger swipe gestures for scrolling on this ASUS eeePC ... works like a mouse scroll wheel).  Boy, I miss this!

Another minor issue: The wireless rt2860sta.ko module available in the repo sets up the wireless device as "wlan0", not "ra0" as in the module built from RALINK's source code for the TC 2.x series.  Use of "wlan0" is fine, and perhaps more standard across various drivers and distributions, but be aware of it if you have scripts or other tools configured for a "ra0" device.
--
Mike L.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:47:50 PM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

2) No two-finger swipe for scrolling (2.x allowed use of 2-finger swipe gestures for scrolling on this ASUS eeePC ... works like a mouse scroll wheel).  Boy, I miss this!

I got this going by using a mouse boot code, IMPS. I don't have it here with me but it was discussed about 2 alpha releases ago.

edit: psmouse.proto=imps
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:17:46 PM by jur »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 02:43:30 AM »
The touchpad thing was discussed on lkml: apparently, some pads have better mouse emulation than native touchpad mode. So forcing it to emulate a mouse (with the psmouse param above), it'll work as before.

Note that the native mode works better with the synaptics driver of Xorg. More configurability, more gestures supported etc.