WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: K3B  (Read 3922 times)

Offline meo

K3B
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Hi!

Have tried out k3b for a while with the new 3.0-series of tinycore but I can't make it work. It seems that the extension needs some adjustments to work with the 3.0-series. It wouldn't hurt if it could be updated at the same time but "as is" is fine for me. Thanks!

Have fun making extensions for tinycore,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: K3B
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »
Hey,
It would help to know more specifics on what kind of problem you are having.  k3b starts up fine here on 3.x with Xorg 7.5.

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
Hi Jason!

When I download k3b "ondemand" it downloads Xorg 7.4 as a dependency and I think that is where the problem lies. I'm not sure but will test more.

Have fun,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »
the 3.x repo dep files have recently been updated to change Xorg-7.4 to Xorg-7.5 and Xlibs_support to Xorg-7.5-lib

Perhaps your local dep files do not reflect this change?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:55:57 AM »
I only updated -dev and -lib, the main 7.x deps were left to the maintainers to test and change.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:22:34 AM »
Hi again!

I "purged" the system from k3b and its dependencies and installed Xorg-7.5 before reinstalling k3b. K3b showed up on the OnDemand menu so I clicked on it. There was some activity but k3b didn't start. I restarted the system and tried to install k3b OnDemand and then I got a message saying that Xorg-7.4 was missing. So apparently there is some dependency problems that won't allow k3b to start. Hope that you can help me to sort that out.

Have fun guys,
meo

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:29:26 AM »
I updated the dep file for kdelibs-3.5.10 to use Xorg-7.5, perhaps a local dep file or one on a mirror has not been changed.

Offline meo

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:08 AM »
Hi it's me again!

First i just manually changed the dep-file in question and tried to make k3b run but it didn't. After that I did an extensive "repurge" of my extensions on this system and made a reinstall. It seems that k3b installs but there are neither an icon or a menu entry so I issued the k3b command in a terminal. All started up hopefully but then a message came that k3b probably had crashed (well since I didn't see any visual evidence of it on the screen I suppose it had crashed). I think there is an incompatibility between the selfconfiguring Xorg-7.5 (I have experienced similar things with the Xorg-7.4 before so I kept a copy of the older version that didn't configure itself since I didn't experience any problems with that one. Sorry to say it seems to have disappeared while cleaning out space eating things from my hard drive). I have an 8+ years old laptop with a neomagic graphic chip and that one doesn't seem to get along very well with the new Xorg-7.5. So if you have any suggestion of what I can do to make k3b work I'm all ears (or maybe rather "all eyes").

Have fun,
meo

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
k3b does not have a menu or icon at this time.  Also, it takes a while to start up especially the first time in a session, so make sure you are not killing the terminal window too soon unless you are starting with "k3b &". 

I have not investigated to see if k3b will run with less of Xorg than the full Xorg-7.5.tcz, the same with the kdelibs.  Perhaps the dependencies can be trimmed some, I will see when I get time.  But assuming it requires Xorg, then it needs to use Xorg-7.5 since 7.4 is being phased out. 

Perhaps when I get home tonight I can remove the Xorg dependency, as kdelibs will probably make do with Xorg-lib (kdelibs was made before Xlibs_support was available), and k3b will probably need Xorg-bin.   Of course, full Xorg should only be listed in a dep file when an extension just absolutely requires it to function, so I will see if it can do without it.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Sure enough, by adding Xorg-7.5-lib.tcz to the kdelibs-3.5.10.tcz.dep and adding Xorg-7.5-bin.tcz to k3b.tcz.dep, k3b is working now without needing Xorg running.  Dep files are updated.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:56:27 PM by Jason W »

Offline meo

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:30:56 AM »
Hi again Jason!

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out. Unfortunately I still can't get k3b to work. The last 5 lines of the output in the terminal were:

DCOPServer : slotterminate() -> sending terminateKDE signal
klauncher : Klauncher::process ---> terminateKDE
kdeinit: terminate KDE
DCOP: unregister 'klauncher'
DCOPServer : slotsuicide() -> exit

Thanks again for your effort to help me out Jason.

Have fun continuing to make TinyCore better,
meo

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »
Ok, let me test some more and see where the issue is.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
K3b works when loaded by itself through the appbrowser on a "base norestore" boot.  I added a needed fontconfig.tcz to the kdelibs dep file now that Xorg is not there, but I don't see any crashing when loading the program.

Offline meo

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »
Hi Jason!

I have made a frugal install of tinycore 3.0 alpha 7 and populated it with the extensions I normally use. Decided to give k3b a chans but it resulted in a crash and the last lines (if not all) in the terminal, from which I tried to start it, was just the same and nothing more happened. So I don't know how to make it work on my old laptop. I have a pretty special setup though that might cause the problem but I don't think so. I have a 32-boot options setup with grub as boot loader even if I've hacked it almost beyond recognition. Thanks anyway for your help!

Have fun continuing your fine work with tinycore,
meo

Offline meo

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi again!

Just did a test with k3b from a live cd with the bootcodes base, norestore and xsetup. I installed k3b and tried to start it from a terminal but just the same thing happened as before. So what can be done? Any suggestions anyone?

Have fun using tinycore and "having it your way",
meo