WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "tce-load" Script and freedesktop.org Specifications  (Read 2572 times)

Offline andy_jp

"tce-load" Script and freedesktop.org Specifications
« on: June 11, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
Hello,

I would first like to thank the Tiny Core team and all contributors for all of your great work.

I have been working on creating extensions, but ran into some trouble when the entry for an application appeared in neither wbar nor the "Applications" menu. I first suspected that it may be a problem with the .desktop file, and, after many tests, couldn't find anything wrong with it. I also couldn't see anything wrong with the way my extension was constructed (I used the same name for the .tcz, .desktop, etc.). I discussed the matter with ^thehatsrule^ (whose help is much appreciated) in the I.R.C. channel, and gained a greater understanding of how extensions are loaded.

All of this led to me dissecting the "tce-load" script and eventually finding the problem. I had followed the wiki, and therefore hadn't created a "tce.menu" directory, as I thought that this was no longer required. However, as you can hopefully tell from the following, "desktop.sh" is not called without the presence of this directory:

Code: [Select]
if [ -d /tmp/tcloop/"$APPNAME"/usr/local/tce.menu ]; then
  if [ `ls -l /tmp/tcloop/"$APPNAME"/usr/local/tce.menu | wc -l` -gt "1" ] ; then
    for item in `ls /tmp/tcloop/"$APPNAME"/usr/local/tce.menu`; do
      [ "$BOOTING" ] || ( [ -s /etc/sysconfig/desktop ] && desktop.sh $item )
    done
  else
    [ "$BOOTING" ] || ( [ -s /etc/sysconfig/desktop ] && desktop.sh "$APPNAME" )
  fi
fi

I believe that changing this code to call "desktop.sh" with or without the presence of the "tce.menu" directory would help to ease the transition from Tiny Core 2 to 3. I could always place an empty "tce.menu" directory in my extension, but this seems like a messy workaround. In the meantime, anyone following the wiki will run into the same problem.

Thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: "tce-load" Script and freedesktop.org Specifications
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
Which version of TC?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andy_jp

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »
2.11.1. ^thehatsrule^ checked 2.11.3, and the problem apparently still exists, but has been fixed in the 3 Alpha.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
If you are submitting an extension for the 2.x repository, then you still need tce.menu and tce.icon items otherwise said extension will fail on all prior versions of 2.x. The repo is for 2.x and not just 2.11.

For this very reason all extensions in the 2.x repository need to support all versions of Tiny Core 2.x

The support freedesktop in 2.11 is such that if in addition to tce.menu and tce.icon, freedesktop items appear then they will be used. This was primarily to better support LXDE and XFCE extensions.

In Tiny Core 3.x, tce.menu and tce.icon items have been dropped. Only freedesktop is supported. We are able to do this as we move to a new major release with a new and separate repository.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline andy_jp

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
Thank you for the swift replies and clarification. I look forward to submitting my extensions soon.