WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg 7.5  (Read 69896 times)

Offline maro

Re: Xorg 7.5
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
I'm not sure. From where and when exactly does startx get called at startup?
As the very last step of the '~/.profile' of user 'tc'. This profile gets copied from '/etc/skel/.profile' and there are a few conditions to be fulfilled:
(1) that a file '/etc/sysconfig/Xserver' exists, which I believe means that a X server is defined (which defaults to 'Xvesa'),
(2) that no file '/etc/sysconfig/text' exists, which I believe means that the 'text' boot code was not used, and
(3) that no socket '/tmp/.X11-unix/X0' exists, which I believe means that no X server ':0.0' is already running.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
As the very last step of the '~/.profile' of user 'tc'. This profile gets copied from '/etc/skel/.profile'

Note: Gets overwritten if contained in backup.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline hiro

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »
Oh right, I guess I should go to bed.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
Some status rambling for those interested.

I'm aware 7.6 is out. However, 7.6 has started to depend on xcb, which would force bloat both on the base and the Xorg extension.
Resistance is not futile just yet though. I may be able to build 7.6 with the xcb-needing components being the last version that didn't need it; and if that's not the case, the next update will be 7.5-2, being somewhere between 7.5 and 7.6, like 7.4-2 was between 7.4 and 7.5.

It saddens me that by 7.7, about a year forward I guess, it will be much more difficult to avoid that. What we'll do then I have no idea yet; maybe we'll assimilate, maybe stay on older Xorg.

Finally, none of this is happening very soon, there's no urgent need for a Xorg update, so it will come when it's ready.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline hiro

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
Yeah, Xorg is depressing. For me, with 7.4-2 multi-monitor stopped working properly, so I went on living with 7.5 and all it's bloat.

But are there any other ways to get multi-monitor support and some kind of video acceleration for mplayer apart from Xorg?

e.g. most of these embedded multimedia gadgets use the framebuffer directly I think.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
No, unless you happen to have one of the older Matrox cards.

The normal framebuffer has no support (clone mode happens automatically IIRC, but I think you mean proper multi-screen). The matrox fb has card-specific dual head support.

KMS framebuffer can in theory do multiple screens, but no code exists so far, and the devs' opinion is that this feature is very low priority.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
Some status rambling for those interested.

I'm aware 7.6 is out. However, 7.6 has started to depend on xcb, which would force bloat both on the base and the Xorg extension.
How does this statement stand in the light of this statement:
Small platforms: Xlib is a large piece of code, and it is difficult to make it smaller.
( from the xcb website, given as one of the reasons for going to xcb instead of Xlibs?

Offline hiro

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »
I don't know anything about Xorg and friends, but from what I read xcb aims to be backward compatible and uses lots of XML files. Form your own opinion...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »
How does this statement stand in the light of this statement:
Small platforms: Xlib is a large piece of code, and it is difficult to make it smaller.
( from the xcb website, given as one of the reasons for going to xcb instead of Xlibs?

XCB is an additional ~23 libs not needed before. It doesn't decrease total size in any way, it's an increase.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:49:23 AM by curaga »

Offline hiro

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »
No, unless you happen to have one of the older Matrox cards.

The normal framebuffer has no support (clone mode happens automatically IIRC, but I think you mean proper multi-screen). The matrox fb has card-specific dual head support.

KMS framebuffer can in theory do multiple screens, but no code exists so far, and the devs' opinion is that this feature is very low priority.

So how do all these linux embedded devices solve the problem?

I just heard about opengl es...?

Offline bbauman99

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:11 AM »
I unfortunately need Xorg 7.6. I know it's bloated.

Are there any plans to "officially" support it. I'm pretty far along in building myself; would be happy to share what I've done.

-- Bruce

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
It's on my todo list, but not in the near future (as in this week or the next). Will happen this summer though.

I'm a bit on the fence whether 4.x needs to happen first; with all the KMS dependency, 7.6 may not be too happy with our current kernel. Intel in particular is not happy about not running in lockstep.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 10:07:04 AM »
It's on my todo list, but not in the near future (as in this week or the next). Will happen this summer though.

I'm a bit on the fence whether 4.x needs to happen first;

Curaga,

is there a draft schedule for 4.0 and Kernel version selection?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »
As mentioned in the wishlist thread, it will be kernel 3.0 if nothing comes up. TC 4.0 has no schedule yet.