WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg 7.5  (Read 69890 times)

Offline Arslan S.

Re: Xorg 7.5
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
you can run glxgears and compare your fps results

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
About Xorg-7.5-vmware again:

I gathered together all the files necessary to get 3D up and running inside VMware, up 'til now, these are:
Code: [Select]
etc/X11/xorg.conf
usr/local/lib/X11/modules/libexa.so
usr/local/lib/X11/modules/dri/vmwgfx_dri.so
usr/local/lib/X11/modules/drivers/vmwlegacy_drv.so
usr/local/lib/X11/modules/drivers/vmware_drv.so
usr/local/lib/X11/modules/drivers/vmwgfx_drv.so
usr/local/lib/modules/2.6.33.3-tinycore/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vmwgfx/vmwgfx.ko
The kernel module is self compiled, the rest are binaries taken from the VMwareTools-8.4.2-261024.tar.gz provided with VMware-Workstation-7.1.0, as well as the source for the kernel module. Now I get the error message:
Fatal server error:
Could not init resource management (!pipe_screen && !libkms)
Any ideas how to fix that?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:25 AM »
Sorry, no, but libkms comes from libdrm, so I guess you're missing that piece (libdrm vmware part?). Outside of that I'm not sure how version-compatible the binaries are.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:46:26 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 03:28:20 AM »
After suspend to RAM, resume no longer works with Xorg-7.5. It crashes and freezes the PC. Xvesa and Xorg-7.4 have no problems.

Because of this, I am not sure I can give you any log files as they are all lost on rebooting.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
I see the same thing - I played around to get syslog messages and Xorg.0.log to persist across the failed suspend/restore, but almost nothing is written to the logs and none of it is useful.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 03:48:06 AM »
This time I started acpid prior to "startx".

After suspend/resume - I get:
acpid: client 2186[0:50] has disconnected
..which is somehow an improvement, because the screen stayed blank without acpid (but a hard reboot is still required)

Edit: If I exit to the prompt before suspending, then things work OK and Xorg-7.5 will start again without problems.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:32:00 AM by Juanito »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
I get
render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
page table error
  PGTBL_ER:0x00000001
[drm:i915_handle_error] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking
render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
page table error
  PGTBL_ER:0x00000001

But mu power button still works, I can press it and it will shut down, I don't hve to hold it in for 5s. Ctrl-alt-bksp or ctroil-alt-del don't work, so I don't know if the power button activates some bios command, or my acpid files.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:03:44 PM by jur »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 05:53:18 AM »
Updated Xorg-7.5{,-lib} due to the libEGL move. Also edited qt-4.x-base.tcz.dep to depend on -lib.

Title:          Xorg-7.5-lib.tcz
Description:    Xorg 7.5 libraries
Version:        7.5 (1.7.7)
Author:      Various
Original-site:  http://x.org
Copying-policy: X11
Size:      200K
Extension_by:   Curaga
Comments:       This extension supercedes Xlibs_support.tcz.
Change-log:     2010/05/28 Original
Current:        2010/06/16 Moved libEGL over

Title:          Xorg-7.5.tcz
Description:    X.org server
Version:        7.5 (1.7.7)
Author:      Various
Original-site:  http://x.org
Copying-policy: X11
Size:      9.8M
Extension_by:   Curaga
Comments:       To run confless, restart X after loading the extension.
      If you need to configure something, such as a keymap, or
      have trouble with autodetection, create a xorg.conf.
      If you are only looking to get software 3D
      and no accel, instead of creating a config file
      suitable for your hardware like below, you can rename
      /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa to xorg.conf.
      To get Xorg with accel, exit to prompt,
                get a root console (sudo su), and then
      Xorg -configure
      Edit the newly created config file as needed.
      When ready copy it to /etc/X11 named xorg.conf.
      Remember to add this file to your backup (/opt/.filetool.lst)
      or save it some other way.
      See Xorg-7.5-3d.tcz for acceleration.
      Please note, for AGP or integrated AGP cards such as Intel
      chips you will always need graphics-KERNEL.tcz.
      Tips on 3D and X keymaps can be found in
      /etc/X11/README.xorg.conf.
Change-log:     2010/05/28 Original
Current:        2010/06/16 Moved libEGL to -lib

Offline maro

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
I have now done a small exercise to find out if there are any other shared libraries that might qualify for being moved from Xorg-7.5.tcz into Xorg-7.5-lib.tcz. I know I should have done this a couple of days earlier but maybe it's still not too late for consideration.

The guiding principle was that any candidate has no other dependency than the ones already in Core. I therefore ran the attached script on a "plain" TC 3.0alpha7 system with the following result:
  link: /usr/local/lib/libdmx.so -> libdmx.so.1.0.0
  link: /usr/local/lib/libdmx.so.1 -> libdmx.so.1.0.0
file: /usr/local/lib/libdmx.so.1.0.0
  link: /usr/local/lib/libdrm.so -> libdrm.so.2.4.0
  link: /usr/local/lib/libdrm.so.2 -> libdrm.so.2.4.0
file: /usr/local/lib/libdrm.so.2.4.0
  link: /usr/local/lib/libkms.so -> libkms.so.1.0.0
  link: /usr/local/lib/libkms.so.1 -> libkms.so.1.0.0
file: /usr/local/lib/libkms.so.1.0.0
  link: /usr/local/lib/libpciaccess.so -> libpciaccess.so.0.10.8
  link: /usr/local/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 -> libpciaccess.so.0.10.8
file: /usr/local/lib/libpciaccess.so.0.10.8
So that would be four more files (plus respective soft links) with a total of ca. 90 kBytes (uncompressed).

I'm not in a position to judge whether moving those files makes sense. It just appears from a pure "ldd-mechanics" point of view to be at least a possibility. If the "libdrm.so*" library is moved it probably would be appropriate to include "libdrm_intel.so*" and "libdrm_radeon.so*" as well.

If my way of counting is not too much off I guess that would leave just four more shared libraries in the 'lib' directory of Xorg-7.5.tcz: 'libGL.so*", 'libGLU.so*", 'libGLw.so*", and "libglut.so*". I'm not quite sure how the latter relates to the freeglut.tcz extension, but the the other three are AFAIK related to Mesa. I have the distinct impression that 'libGL.so*' is the "main culprit" why certain extensions are requiring the "full Xorg" (without needing the Xorg X server as such). I believe that 'Mplayer-xorg.tcz' is an example of such a case and have successfully tested that theory.

I guess as long as no accelerated graphics are required (which IIRC is the case for some games) just having those "GL" libraries should be sufficient to work with 'Xvesa'. I therefore wonder if it would make sense to cut one more extension out of Xorg-7.5.tcz (e.g. 'Xorg-7.5-mesa.tcz'). Obviously there would then be a chain of dependencies (i.e. Xorg-7.5 -> Xorg-7.5-mesa -> Xorg-7.5-lib), but that does not look too daunting to me.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »
The distinction on what went to -lib and what was in the main ext was the accelerated graphics.

Having libGL available with Xvesa is of no use, not even software accel that way. Mplayer-xorg's edge is the GL output, which also requires the Xorg server.
Building Mesa in such a way to work just as libGL, without the GLX extension and the swrast DRI driver, is possible, but has to be done separately. Not worth it IMO, the software renderer is very very slow. (no, a core i7 couldn't do glchess with it over 15fps)

AFAIK:
libdmx: only used by the Xdmx server & related
libpciaccess: only used by Xorg & drivers
libdrm, libkms: only used by drivers, Xephyr, libGL

I guess as long as no accelerated graphics are required (which IIRC is the case for some games) just having those "GL" libraries should be sufficient to work with 'Xvesa'.

Please point out a single game that links to GL without needing acceleration ;)
Even if they are sufficiently simple to run on the sw renderer, that isn't available with Xvesa.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 10:23:10 AM »
xorg has mesa glut 3.7.1 which has not changed since 1998, and i think its license does not allow modification freeglut is to solve this problem

The original GLUT library seems to have been abandoned with the most recent version (3.7) dating back to August 1998. Its license does not allow anyone to distribute modified library code. This would be OK, if not for the fact that GLUT is getting old and really needs improvement. Also, GLUT's license is incompatible with some software distributions (e.g., XFree86).
http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
I think that's partially old info, Mesa GLUT has been getting build and bug fixes. Though the license does not mention modification:

/* Copyright (c) Mark J. Kilgard, 1994. */

/* This program is freely distributable without licensing fees
   and is provided without guarantee or warrantee expressed or
   implied. This program is -not- in the public domain. */

Offline maro

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »
Thanks guys for your responses. As you could see from my suggestion I really had not done enough research.

One of the main reasons why I like TC is the chance to create a system with a rather limited set of preconditions. I guess I'm happy as long as I can get way with just 'Xvesa'. Obviously I'm not intending to try some gaming. I agree as soon as you start doing that you'll end up needing accelerated graphics.

I'm currently without a system on which I could continue a bit more of my experiments. From memory I'm pretty sure that I had 'Mplayer-xorg' running on 'Xvesa' without 'Xorg-7.5.tcz' installed (but with "libGL.so*" and "friends" copied into '/usr/local/lib'). I'm not sure to which degree the performance was degraded, but at least the short clip I played did not seem to mind.

Likewise I had a play with 'gnome-desktop-base.tcz' without 'Xorg'. Mind you that was before the rebuild, so that trial was based on 'Xorg-7.4'. IIRC there was just one file which needed "libGL.so*" ('gnome-screensaver-gl-helper' if my notes are correct). I had just a fairly cursory glance over things, so again I don't know what else might be missing without 'Xorg-7.4' installed and it's X-server running.

I remain to be still curious to which degree the "full Xorg" is required in some cases and might pick up this subject again when time and system availability allows.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 03:29:08 AM »
I'm currently without a system on which I could continue a bit more of my experiments. From memory I'm pretty sure that I had 'Mplayer-xorg' running on 'Xvesa' without 'Xorg-7.5.tcz' installed (but with "libGL.so*" and "friends" copied into '/usr/local/lib'). I'm not sure to which degree the performance was degraded, but at least the short clip I played did not seem to mind.

That's true, Mplayer-xorg does run if the lib is available, but only with the same outputs as Mplayer-nodeps (likely picking the x11 output by default). If you try "-vo gl" to force the GL output, it's a no go with Xvesa.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 07:09:58 AM »
gnome desktop with Xvesa is not a good option because of bad performance and there are certain things that requires Xorg server, gnome keyboard layout switch, gnome screensavers, gnome display properties etc.