WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Playing around with Meego - Perhaps a source for eeepc linux drivers  (Read 2611 times)

Offline bigpcman

I've been playing around with Meego and poking around in the file structure. I noticed there are some  drivers that might be nice to have available in tc.

See attached dmesg output.

edit : this was for a eeepc 900a - I also attached the tc3alpha 5 dmesg, they are similar but there some differences.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:47:44 PM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Playing around with Meego - Perhaps a source for eeepc linux drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
Which drivers do you mean?

I mainly saw bluetooth, wireless, and graphics, all of which are available in extensions.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »

I mainly saw bluetooth, wireless, and graphics, all of which are available in extensions.

Yes those plus I suppose the intel ethernet and acpi  drivers would complete the set.

I thought  Meego had some optimized drivers and that the tc extensions were more generic.
big pc man

Offline althalus

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

Yes those plus I suppose the intel ethernet and acpi  drivers would complete the set.

I thought  Meego had some optimized drivers and that the tc extensions were more generic.
Yes, so highly optimised for intel that it won't run on AMD chips.  And I'm not sure if that's drivers that can be plucked out and dumped in another OS as much as the entire kernel.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »

Yes, so highly optimised for intel that it won't run on AMD chips.  And I'm not sure if that's drivers that can be plucked out and dumped in another OS as much as the entire kernel.
I wonder how we could test if they could be used?
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 12:42:55 AM »
We do include the Intel ethernet & acpi drivers in the base. They're just not forcibly loaded unless needed, whereas on Meego it seems they were built into the kernel, and so loaded even when no hw is present.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »
We do include the Intel ethernet & acpi drivers in the base. They're just not forcibly loaded unless needed, whereas on Meego it seems they were built into the kernel, and so loaded even when no hw is present.

How is "needed" determined. If the Intel drivers have been optimized for instance for the eeepc intel "945" chipset then what would cause them to be loaded or what would the user have to do to cause them to be loaded?
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
By having hardware present :)

If you do not have an e100 network chip, having the driver loaded only takes up ram.