WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 5 testing  (Read 24690 times)

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 5 testing
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:21 AM »
I held off posting one until things settled down.  I'll see about it sometime.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »
cpanel/Update Apps displays "Reboot to use new updated extensions." on fresh system instead of "Your system is up to date".
Updated to acknowledge when system is up-to-date.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline althalus

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »
Technically, yes, for the convenience of building modules without the full kernel source.

Until one gets made, the full kernel source can be used instead.
Ah, ok. Makes sense.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 04:01:55 AM »
I hope this is an appropriate place to post this bug:

Load galculator. It runs. Now load and run gnumeric. Now, galculator segfaults.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 04:20:14 AM »
Just tried the same test booting off usb stick and it didn't happen. On the usb stick I run xvesa while on the harddisk I use Xorg.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 05:00:24 AM »
i am not sure whether it still applies to 3.0 but there is one issue that could use a fix (i've seen it on 2.11 at least).

when you have a external device/filesystem or anything mounted somewhere in /home/tc, and decide to shutdown TC,  the backup script will try to pack home dir along with mounts into mydata.tgz.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:48 AM »
/home/tc/mnt is in the default xfiletool.lst, so if you mount under that, things will work.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline maro

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »
I can confirm the finding from jur that galculator "dies" with a segfault if gnumeric is installed as well. I did my tests on a "plain" TC 3.0a5 system and considering my findings I can only assume that his second report resulted due to a different set of extensions (but most likely unrelated to the X server).

In principle my test consisted of the following steps:
  • I installed 'galculator.tcz' and confirmed that 'galculator' is working. I also took note of the ldconfig -p and ldd $( which galculator ) output.
  • I installed 'gnumeric.tcz'  and confirmed that 'galculator' is crashing with a segfault. Comparing the respective output showed that several libraries (e.g. 'libxml2.so.2', and 'libglade-2.so.0') had been replaced by different versions installed to '/usr/lib' which were included in 'gnumeric.tcz'.
  • I then removed one of the "offenders" (with sudo rm -f /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2* ; sudo ldconfig) and this allowed for 'galculator' to work again.

There are quite a few libraries contained in the '/usr/lib' directory of 'gnumeric.tcz' that are available via distinct library extensions. I spotted 'pcre.tcz', 'ORBit2.tcz', and 'libgpg-error.tcz' as other candidates (but there are probably more) by just eyeballing 'gnumeric.tcz.list'. And there is a fairly good chance that some other incompatibilities will "break" also other extensions. I'd therefore suggest to remove 'gnumeric.tcz'  from the 3.x repository until it has been rebuild taking into account the possibly much larger set of available libraries via extensions in the current repository.

Due to this finding I then had a quick look across the .list files of the 3.x repository and saw a few other cases where libraries had been put into '/usr/lib':
  • ayttm.tcz contains '/usr/lib/libltdl.so*' which could possibly be removed and replaced via the 'libltdl.tcz' extension.
  • inkscapelite.tcz contains '/usr/lib/libpopt.so*' which could possibly be removed and replaced via the 'popt.tcz' extension.
  • stardict.tcz contains '/usr/lib/libsigc-2.0.so.0*' which could possibly be removed and replaced via the 'libsigc++.tcz' extension.
  • udev-lib.tcz contains files for '/usr/lib' (and '/lib') and I wonder if '/usr/local/lib' would not be the better "place".

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
maro: Thanks for the confirmation. Your findings for libxml2 also explains why I had "random" cases where right-clicking on rox filer sometimes exited as reported before.