WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 5 testing  (Read 24691 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 5 testing
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
Tiny Core v3.0 Alpha5 is now posted at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release_candidates

Change log for Alpha5

* Updated AppsAudit: added OnDemand Maintenance (add/remove) OnDemand items.
* Updated ondemand to support new feature in AppsAudit.
* Updated AppsAudit: dropped full path from "Check for Updates" display.
* Updated flwm* for potential issue when used with peristent home
* Updated tce-setdrive to exclude cdrom and dvd.
* Updated mktclocal to exclude cdrom and dvd.
* Updated usbinstall moved bzImage and tinycore.gz/microcore.gz to /boot
* Updated wbar_upd_icon.sh for missing c: in freedesktop Terminal & Icon case.
* Fixed various typos and other small tweaks and adjustments
* Fixed freedesktopcheck in startx
* Updated squashfs module with latest patch.
* Removed unused .webdata* from /etc/skel/
* Updated X libs in base to Xorg 7.5:
   libICE-1.0.6
   libSM-1.1.1
   libX11-1.3.3
   libXau-1.0.5
   libXaw-1.0.7
   libXcursor-1.1.10
   libXdmcp-1.0.3
   libXext-1.1.1
   libXfont-1.4.1
   libXft-2.1.14
   libXi-1.3
   libXinerama-1.1
   libXmu-1.0.5
   libXpm-3.5.8
   libXrender-0.9.5
   libXt-1.0.8
   libXtst-1.1.0
* The user-visible part of the update is mainly the removal of the harmless libXext error message
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline meo

Re: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 5 testing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
Hi Tiny Core Team!

The new cut works without problems for me. Did some initial testing and the applications I use most work flawlessly. Thanks for your hard work!

Have fun working with tinycore 3.0 towards it's final state,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
This was probably there before, but when I use appsaudit to update bluez, the updated dep file contains bluetooth-KERNEL.tcz rather than bluetooth-2.6.33.3-tinycore{,64}.tcz

Offline philip

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:37:23 PM »
Tonight for the first time I saw the release news *without* a happy note from Meo, and thought, "This is my chance!" Unfortunately, after installing as fast as I could and quickly testing a YouTube video with getFlash10 and namaroka, I lost the race. Congratulations to Meo and ... more importantly ;) ... thanks to the team.

I like the classic FLWM desktop. The menu system based in ~/.wmx has a symbolic link named "Applications" pointing to /usr/local/tce.flwm. In the 2.X series of TC releases, this target directory was populated automatically when things like namaroka or the OSS mixer got installed. Now it seems this directory just stays empty. Can the previous functionality be restored?

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:07:49 AM »
~/.wbar apparently does not get used... on starting, wbar is located bottom centre, whereas in my ~/.wbar file it is spec'ed as being vertical and on the right.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ wbar.sh
tc@box:~$ wbar: unrecognized option '-bpress -vbar -pos right -zoomf 1.78 -nofont'

edit: Removing the double quotes around $OPTION in wbar.sh fixes the problem.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:26:06 AM by jur »

Offline jano

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 12:08:14 PM »
Couldn' test alpha 4. With alpha 5 I have the same boot errors I had with alpha2 and alpha 3 but not with alpha1 (see http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6021.msg32363#msg3263 in alpha 3 thread for details)

Offline maro

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
jano: First up I don't pretend to really know much at all about the following, so I can only hope that some of the other guys are stepping in when I'm "talking nonsense" here:
  • I was surprised that you reported your problems to have started with alpha2 since the kernel got build again with alpha3. The only change I could find between alpha1 (i.e. "good") and alpha2 (i.e. "bad") that I would associate with the "udev area" was the addition of KERNEL=="ramzswap*",        GROUP="root",         MODE="0600" in '/etc/udev/rules.d/55-tc.rules'. Maybe you could re-master the initrd of TC 3.0alpha5 with a version that removes this entry again and see whether that makes a difference (BTW I would not bother with the 'advdef' step since "squeezing out" the last bits from the file should not be critical for your testing).
  • Since I assume that some sort of race condition or some other failure happens to "udev" I wonder whether you should remaster the initrd with a view of changing '/etc/init.d/tc-config' a bit: I see that /sbin/udevd --daemon 2>/dev/null >/dev/null inhibits all output, and that a '--debug' option is available. I therefore wonder if a change to /sbin/udevd --daemon --debug would show more information in the 'syslog'.
  • Likewise there are several uses of /sbin/udevadm in the same file where all output is inhibited. I suppose running these commands in the background is critical and running them in the foreground might not be an option.
Well, that are just my 2c ...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:33:03 PM »
This was probably there before, but when I use appsaudit to update bluez, the updated dep file contains bluetooth-KERNEL.tcz rather than bluetooth-2.6.33.3-tinycore{,64}.tcz

Found it.
Fixed it.
Thanks!
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline maro

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
As I tried to understand some of the changes between TC 3.0alpha4 and 3.0alpha5 I made the following observations:
  • In '/usr/lib' a fair amount has changed (as mentioned in the release notes), but I've stumbled upon a few files that I'm not sure to which degree they are still required:
    • libSM.so.6.0.0 has no symbolic link pointing to it (those are now pointing to libSM.so.6.0.1)
    • libX11.so.6.2.0 has no symbolic link pointing to it (those are now pointing to libX11.so.6.3.0)
    • libXi.so.6.0.0 has no symbolic link pointing to it (those are now pointing to libXi.so.6.1.0)
    • libXrandr.so.2.1.0 has no symbolic link pointing to it (those are now pointing to libXrandr.so.2.2.0)
  • There appear to be only three libraries left which have not been updated: libXfontcache.so.1.0.0, libfontenc.so.1.0.0, and libjpeg.so.62.0.0.
    • The latter one I could explain myself. Maybe the latest stable release is seen as still too "fresh" given the fact that it's merely two weeks old.
    • But the two former ones I thought might be part of Xorg and would therefore be updated.
I'd appreciate if someone wiser might be kind enough to explain this to me.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
I think the leftover files are already taken care of ;)

Seems like libXfontcache can be removed (deprecated) and that libfontenc might already be the latest.

Not using the 'highest' version was done to keep a compatible interface.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »
Seems like libXfontcache can be removed (deprecated) and that libfontenc might already be the latest.

I confirm this, Xfontcache is not a part of Xorg-7.5, and libfontenc has not received an update since the 7.4 days.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »
cpanel/Update Apps displays "Reboot to use new updated extensions." on fresh system instead of "Your system is up to date".
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline althalus

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
Are we lacking a linux-kernel-headers extension for the alpha versions of TC3?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Technically, yes, for the convenience of building modules without the full kernel source.

Until one gets made, the full kernel source can be used instead.