WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: computer locks up during hard drive install (twice)  (Read 18239 times)

Offline batnas

Re: computer locks up during hard drive install (twice)
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »
that's some wishful thinking.  and i'm not kidding.

I'm sorry ???

And for the grub thing, you just have to follow the install guide.

\\Batnas

Offline ejames82

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
the guide says this is next:

"In the grub prompt,
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit"

do i add these commands one at a time?

root (hd0,0)
then:

setup (hd0)
then:

quit
is there a special way of "quitting"?

or, do i put all three commands in at one time, like this:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

thanks again.

backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
i am about ready to try it to see if it works.
backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »
IT WORKS!

it shut down completely, boots up nice and quick, no jittering of the mouse, goes to websites quick, it's real nice.

while it's fresh on my mind, i think i'll put it on a second hard drive.  i promise not to bother anybody though.  if it doesn't work i'll just be happy with one hard drive.

thanks so much to everybody.
backup...backup...backup

Offline ejames82

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
i was also able to install it on a 40gb hard drive.  this time, relatively quickly.
works good.

thanks again everybody.
backup...backup...backup

aus9

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
hi

thanks for the explanation of your issues with hdd and hdc.

Are they wide ribbon = IDE drives?

If so, it may not be the drive at all.........swap the wide ribbon data cables.....when they get bent....their internal wires get broke.
You may be able to find new ones at computer stores.....but for now just swap the cables and see if your nasty optical drive now changes its spots to hdc?

Offline ejames82

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
aus9,

tomorrow i will switch that ribbon cable with another.  i have an abundance of parts.  the cdrom deck that doesn't work properly is on the end of the ribbon cable.  if these were hard drives, it would be moster.  if i want to view the contents of a disk, it works just fine, but does not boot a disk or install to one.  that would suggest a data problem.  power cutting out doesn't seem as likely.  yeah, it's IDE.

i appreciate your help and suggestions.  donj't ever think that just because you're a newbie that your ideas aren't valueable.  i know for certain that they are.
thanks. 
backup...backup...backup

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »
i did install the gimp1 program. 
you build just about everything in the appbrowser program, it looks like.  appbrowser works great.  as good as ubuntu's package manager.
the main reason i need the screenshot utility is to post my screenshot on this thread.  when i click on the (new) gimp icon, nothing happens.
You could try entering "gimp" (without the "quotes") in a terminal window and then hitting the <enter> key - this will usually show some kind of error message that will help figure out why it doesn't work.

aus9

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2010, 04:51:14 AM »
hi

Yeah well it could be both the ribbon and the power....but power is more likely an issue with your PSU is failing and you "should" have more frequent and more "bells" ways of being alarmed on that issue.

There could still be an issue with the power connector, of course. But that means you should before changing ribbons....swap the power leads and see if issue swaps to hdc.

2) there are sites where you show all your hardware and it says what is the min watt PSU you need.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

feel free to google for other sites if you don't trust this one

Offline ejames82

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »
Juanito,

since i installed tinycore to the new hard drive, i installed gimp1 again, and this time there is no problem at all.  the gui interface came right up.  should i ever have a problem with gimp1 again, i will keep your suggestion in mind.  i'll bet that same fix works on other programs as well  (of course, the name would be different).

aus9,

when i do a computer task, often i take the long way.  to make a long story short, i removed the front piece, the floppy/hard drive carriage, and the two decks and discovered the cd deck was jumpered as slave (the one that wouldn't boot a disk or install an OS and was at the end of the ribbon cable).  it makes me wonder if i ever really did successfully play any disks with it, how could i?  it doesn't seem like it would work.
i have too many computers. :)  maybe i have it mistaken for a different computer.
even after trying every possible jumper configuration, that memorex still wouldn't boot to disk or install.  i immediately got an error message (error 16).  it was indeed defective.  it was a "general purpose" computer at a not-for-profit agency.  young people abused this computer and it was badly infected when it was given to my wife.  i cleaned the infections, took the hard drive out, and now it's a linux machine.
i hunted down another cd drive and now it's 100%.  your suggestion caused me to look the machine over.

thanks for both replies.
backup...backup...backup

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
Slave is slave. Cable position does not matter.
Any IDE device jumpered as 'Slave' should also have a 'Master' on the same cable.
I have seen masterless slave devices work, but they don't always.

aus9

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:35 PM »
thanks Gerald for reminding me.....

According to my eyesight you had

controller 0
master--- quantum fireball hard drive (hda)
slave empty

controller 1
master---ATAPI iHAP422 9 (hdc)
slave ----MEMOREX cd burner (hdd)

It looks like IMHO your jumper on hdc was wrong as no info was being obtained by demeg while it was able to report
ide-cd: hdd: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 1860kB Cache

So I am claiming your hdc is to be made master
and as Gerald has suggested a masterless optical drive.....can fail without its master.

So decide which is your fastest burner....jumper that as master and the other as slave.

But if you need to do a lot of copying from drive to drive...keep the fastest best(est) burner as master hdc and move the slave onto the same cable as the hard drive

If you can not see jumper position...try google for that brand...whatever it is
I have seen some that do not need any jumper if its master with no slave
so if all else fails....you know hdd is a slave so move it controller 0 and then maybe hdc will work?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:20:44 PM by aus9 »

Offline ejames82

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
gerald_clark,

"I have seen masterless slave devices work, but they don't always"
i'm glad to hear that, because i'm pretty sure that deck worked for general purpose use.  not for booting or installing an os though.

aus9,

"So I am claiming your hdc is to be made master"
it is now.  the iHAP422 is master.  as i stated before (i should have been more clear) it's working 100% (the whole computer).  i replaced the memorex with an hp that i thought had problems, but was mistaken.  it turns out the hp is fine.  boots and installs from either deck. ;D

thanks for both replies.
backup...backup...backup