WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Live CD program start up  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Fiddler

Live CD program start up
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »
I have remastered TinyCore 2.11 to add a loadable kernel module and an FLTK desktop application. The changes to bootlocal.sh work fine for using insmod on the lkm but I cannot figure out how to start the FLTK aplication after the desktop is up and visible.

I have three questions:

1) Is there a better way to do program start up with a Live CD boot than using bootlocal.sh especially for the FLTK applicaion I just described?
2) How do you add user applications to the right click menu on the desktop?
3) Can I change the main CD boot menu where Enter, F2 or F3 need to be pressed?

I would really appreciate and assistance or guidance.

So far TinyCore has met every Linux application need that I have but is really difficult to find answers to these questions on your own.

Offline danielibarnes

Re: Live CD program start up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
1) Is there a better way to do program start up with a Live CD boot than using bootlocal.sh especially for the FLTK applicaion I just described?

Any scripts in ~/.X.d are sourced at the end of the ~/.xsession script. Put your script in that directory before X starts. If you look in it, you will notice wbar is started this way. Make sure to preserve your change so it is restored when you reboot.

2) How do you add user applications to the right click menu on the desktop?

Create a file in the /usr/local/tce.menu directory. Examine a simple extension, such as ace-of-penguins.tcz, for an example.

3) Can I change the main CD boot menu where Enter, F2 or F3 need to be pressed?

There are many options listed in the syslinux wiki. You can also learn how to use menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32 to create a menu of choices similar to what you see with grub.

Offline Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:55:28 AM »
Thanks danielbarnes for the quick response. I am glad I did not logoff.

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
IIRC the '/usr/local/tce.menu' directory won't be supported any more in TC 3.x.

AFAIK the "show" moved on to the *.desktop files in the '/usr/local/share/applications' directory. I my memory serves me right this is supported since TC 2.11 and might therefore be a more "future-proof" way to create ones own extensions.