General TC > General TC Talk

custom kernel in pxe environment

(1/2) > >>

Senator:
Hello

first - i want to say that i like TCL since i heard of it. Great Distribution. After playing around with it a while I have decided to use TCL for a ThinClient project with about 100 clients. As clients we want to use vortex86dx. Therefore we compiled a custom kernel. Our environment should be booted via PXE. And there is the showstopper. When we booting the default TCL Kernel and ramdisk via PXE the system boots as expected. But if we boot customized kernel the clients boot again immediately after loading the ramdisk. If we combine the original kernel with the remastered ramdisk the system boots also without any problems so I assume its an issue of our custom kernel.
If we start our customized kernel and the ramdisk in a virtual environment (vbox) there are no issues.

Is there a possibility to debug this behaviour via kernel boot options?

Best Regards

gerald_clark:
Why do you need a custom kernel?
The Vortex86 boots via PXE and runs as is.
Please read the netboot section of the wiki.

curaga:
Use options "debug rootdelay=50", and if you still can't see the messages, then the same without any initrd.
Another option would be to set up a netconsole (networking/netconsole.txt in kernel docs), if your custom kernel has that enabled.

Senator:
Hello

@gerald_clark
unfortunately not all clients (about 10%) can be booted via pxe in production environment, as they can connect to network only via wifi. Therefore we have to install operating system and configuration on CF-card, but the default kernel does not find the CF-Card.

--- Code: ---# lspci
00:0c.0 IDE interface: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 1011

--- End code ---
fdisk -l doesn't find any block device.
We tried some changes in bios but no success

@curaga
We tried the kernel options with no success. When we boot without initrd the client reboots immediately after loading kernel. No boot message at all. As next option we want to setup the netconsole- thanks for the hint.

Best regards

gerald_clark:
My Vortex86 has an SiS chipset.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version