WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Virtual Box Persistence  (Read 6393 times)

Offline core

Virtual Box Persistence
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
Decided this should really go into a new topic.

Right now I'm having persistence issues. I'm not sure how to follow the install directions as they don't seem to apply to virtual machines.  I read that vmware requires special scripts, but I did see some threads referring to special packages for virtual box. I installed one, but I lost it after reboot. Is this difficult to set up on a virtual machine? (I think Kingdomcome's name was listed in the info file of the package I tried.)

Apparently I'm just booting from the iso each time...

This thread seems to show how, but I can't seem to get it to mount the hard drive    
How to install TinyCore 2.7 on VMware

[edit]
This was posted from tinycore. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:22:53 PM by core »

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: Virtual Box Persistence
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »
Inside Virtual Box you can follow the installation instructions on the TC website word for word.  You will need to set up and attach a virtual hard drive to the VM as described in the Virtual Box documentation.  Of the virtualization software Ive tried, Virtual Box is the simplest and provides the closest experience to bare metal, IMO.

Offline core

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
Is the .vdi file the virtual drive you are referring to, or is it something else?

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:40 AM »
Yes, the vdi file is the virtual hard drive I am speaking of.  After creating and attaching the vdi to a VM for TC, mount a TC iso to the cd-rom drive in VBox and start the VM.  You can then follow the install guide on the TC website.  After installing, shut down and unmount the TC iso from the VM and start the VM to boot from its hard drive (the vdi)

Offline core

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:37:54 AM »
I got it working after I found that the fdisk -l showed that hda existed. I was then able to follow the standard installation instructions like you said. I had originally tried mounting it first, but it wasn't formatted yet... so it failed. :P

Thanks for the help in getting it set up. :)

I would think that installation could be automated, providing prompts along the way. A shell script might even work?

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
The devs have chosen to not include an install script in the base because it could very easily become overly complicated and need to constantly be update to fix certain situations that different users come across.  I have considered writing a script to automate the install inside VBox since many of the variables that could arise on bare metal do not exist in VBox, but I have not had time to do so.  If you would like, you are welcome to, and share it in the Programming and Scripting section of the forum.

Congrats on your success and enjoy TC.