WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Please help me get started with Tinycore!  (Read 2191 times)

Offline pix

Please help me get started with Tinycore!
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
Hi to all. I have decided that Tinycore is my idea of a perfect OS. It's light, fast booting, functional and modular with NO bloat. Hogs heaven - except I seem to be missing something already! I am experienced in the Windows world. I have never really taken to Linux, but I have used it and other *nix-like OSes in the past, so I will figure it out if someone can put me right.

My goal is to build a minimal system supporting my video, sound and wireless. Modules I'd like to include are WINE, a decent file manager, SMB client, Chromium browser, NTFS R/W support and Virtualbox.

My first problem is that I can't for my life see where you can download the TCE/TCZ extensions? nor can I find any torrents of them. Ideally I'd like to download a bundle with a whole stack of them, so I can get everything working at a base level offline. If someone can give me a push in the direction of a TCZ repo I would be very grateful. Any other help would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Offline pix

Re: Please help me get started with Tinycore!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:08:05 AM »
Thank you for the link lucky13. I had already been on that page, but you made me look again and I quickly saw how I could get at the files. Can't wait to build this and try it out!

For anyone following shortly after me who wants to get started offline, getting to download the TCZ files is a little cryptic. For ver 3.x follow this: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tcz_3x.html
You will see the list of TCZ's. The Application column is the basic package. A list of dependencies for the package are in the .dep file, which you can also download by clicking the link in the right hand DEP column. Download using http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/[INSERT .TCZ FILE]

^
The above is from the default mirror of course - there are others.

Offline Onyarian

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »
This is not the best way to download tcz files.

Better is when you clic on the icon "apps" from the TC desktop and then clic to "connect" button, then you can see at the left side all the extensions and in the right side an explanation from those you select.
Then you choose the "install" button and it installs the extension and all the dep files of this extension.
The extensions are stored in /tce/optional so they are loaded at boot and you can use them offline too.
So easy!

Offline thane

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »
Not sure from your posts pix if the box you're working with has a wired internet connection. If not (e.g. wireless) you'll have to load some extensions first before you can connect to the repository (sorry, I'm not familiar with how to do that). But if you do have a working wired connection, then Onyarian is right, you should be able to click the gear wheel-looking icon at the bottom and get the extensions repository directly.

Offline pix

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I realise that it is perhaps not the best, or standard way of loading extensions. Unfortunately, it seems to be the only way of obtaining extensions to work with them offline, which is why I am pointing out how to get at the files. Reasons:
1) I do not like being dependant on 'the cloud' for my resources
2) if I was working on my desktop, then a wired connection would probably work fine if all I wanted to do was get a working system, but I want this on my laptop and I need to be able to get wireless working first in order to do that, which means I need to be able to download the wireless extensions.

What I'm actually trying to do is get my own repository together with all the extensions and dependencies I might need in order to customise any system from scratch.

EDIT: OR... I could have realised from the beginning it was a flippin FTP and saved myself a boatload of clicking! DOH! DOH! DOH!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:04:04 PM by pix »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:35:04 AM »
You could do something like set up a persistent usb stick (use the usb install in the menu), download desired extensions from that using a comp with wired access, and then copy them over to your laptop.
Would be easier with things that have a lot of dependencies.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.