WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 1 Testing  (Read 49076 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha Testing
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »
testing 3.0alpha, no luck getting alsa to work :(

..works for me using the alsasound init.d - significantly faster at finding the drivers than tc2.x

I'm working on pulseaudio for tc3.x, but it still needs alsa  :(

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
I know it's a minor thing, but when you first boot up the wallpaper i gray, but in /usr/bin/wallpaper the default background color is still #112949, as in the older versions. I think it would be nice if /usr/bin/wallpaper had the default set to #666666 like the background color right after booting into the system.

Got it. Thanks.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »
testing 3.0alpha, no luck getting alsa to work :(

..works for me using the alsasound init.d - significantly faster at finding the drivers than tc2.x

now got it to work, speakers were off by default  ???

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 02:38:41 AM »
Short: Intel graphics users wanting Xorg, you'll need to change the default to UMS mode for Xorg 7.4. 7.5 will support KMS.

Long:

What you're seeing is Intel's new graphics stack.
They only support KMS now (in the Xorg driver, the kernel driver still has the UMS mode for backwards compatibility); if you wish to use UMS, add "options i915 modeset=0" to /etc/modprobe.conf before loading the extension/module.

As you've seen, the KMS stack conflicts with both the vesa framebuffer and the vesa driver (both tinyX and Xorg), because it sets the resolution itself. It gives less flicker, and the optimal resolution from the start (full-res console).

The module in KMS mode should be loaded in pure text mode; inside X or with a framebuffer it's likely to crash and burn.

So far Intel is the only one going this far; radeon and nouveau also support KMS, but theirs defaults off.

The intel driver in Xorg 7.4 doesn't support KMS IIRC, so to run with it turn modesetting off.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:04 AM »
3) The sound card works but the amixer entries shown are different from before. Not sure if this is a problem.

Blame the alsa devs, this happens just about every new kernel version.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 03:39:19 AM »
Is there any benefit to recompile an extension in 3.0 which otherwise works perfectly from 2.x?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 03:46:51 AM »
Possible speed gains and size losses, nothing guaranteed though.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 03:50:53 AM »
..and I guess also the extension could make use of additional functionality in the updated glibc and/or kernel.

I did notice some significant size differences in some cases - perhaps as a result of cloog, etc

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 03:56:47 AM »
Short: Intel graphics users wanting Xorg, you'll need to change the default to UMS mode for Xorg 7.4. 7.5 will support KMS.

Long:

They only support KMS now (in the Xorg driver, the kernel driver still has the UMS mode for backwards compatibility); if you wish to use UMS, add "options i915 modeset=0" to /etc/modprobe.conf before loading the extension/module.

As you've seen, the KMS stack conflicts with both the vesa framebuffer and the vesa driver (both tinyX and Xorg), because it sets the resolution itself. It gives less flicker, and the optimal resolution from the start (full-res console).

The module in KMS mode should be loaded in pure text mode; inside X or with a framebuffer it's likely to crash and burn.

So far Intel is the only one going this far; radeon and nouveau also support KMS, but theirs defaults off.

The intel driver in Xorg 7.4 doesn't support KMS IIRC, so to run with it turn modesetting off.
i think ati already does KMS by default.

worth noting - if your display gives corrupt EDID (old [worn down] CRTs tend to do it), you'd better steer clear from ati KMS. it can lockup your system, display garbage and lockup your system, or give you a white screen of death and lockup your system ;) (all of this on radeon module init, and it's pretty random).

there is work going into fixing such lockups, but it's still not commited nor finished.

recently a safe bet was to use "nomodeset" parameter which would disable modesetting on any driver, but it seems it might not work on all KMS aware drivers anymore.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:59:26 AM by yoshi314 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 03:59:13 AM »
..and I guess also the extension could make use of additional functionality in the updated glibc and/or kernel.
Indeed, for example an updated Qemu would now take advantage of KSM. Not high on my todo list though, the userbase running a TC host with hundreds of similar VMs in KVM is quite small ;)

@yoshi314: it wasn't enabled by default, I left it that way. Ati users will need to enable it explicitly, via doing the same but with 1 of course.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 04:01:19 AM »
one thing that might be important - ati driver now requires a small piece of firmware for accelerated operation.
one for KMS (all cards) , second for Xorg (some cards).

in case of my x1300 card, i need /lib/firmware/radeon/R520_cp.bin or KMS might fail to start.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:02:53 AM by yoshi314 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
I foresee all kinds of fun coming with Xorg-7.5 testing  :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 04:33:00 AM »

OK, I will make some tries and see result :)
Béla

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 05:36:21 AM »

Long:

Thanks, I was able to make it work. Here are the steps I followed to get it to boot up into Xorg:

0. Xorg-7.4 and grpahics-2.6.33.3 must NOT be in the onboot list.
1. I added "options i915 modeset=0" to /etc/modprobe.conf and added it to filetool.
2. I added tce-load instructions for graphics-2.6.33.3-tinycore and Xorg-7.4 to .profile before the final startx statement.

That was it. This procedure was necessary as the extensions must be loaded after the modprobe.conf file gets restored. I don't know how to do it otherwise - is there a better, more streamlined method?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:38:02 AM by jur »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 05:42:34 AM »

Using the same build script, mc.tcz is 586k on 3.0 while 606k on 2.10

Speed? No idea :)
Béla