WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 1 Testing  (Read 49081 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha 1 Testing
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:53:23 PM »
Team Tiny Core is pleased to announce Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha1 is available for public testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release_candidates/tinycore_3.0alpha1.iso

This is an alpha level cut. If you decide to help test, then please test carefully. We don't want anyone to lose data.

Since this is an alpha cut, although the team has 5 preview cuts, we ask that only experienced users test. This cut is not for general use. The features in any alpha are not fixed and may change before a public release candidate is available.

We appreciate testing and feedback.

Download the new iso, and test features and extensions via the desktop appbrowser.
If you use distribution files note that you need both a new bzImage and tinycore.gz.

Do not mix Tiny Core 2.x with Tiny Core 3.x. They have different modules and major library changes, as well as all extensions now only support freedesktop specs.

Changelog for 3.0 alpha1:
* kernel update to 2.6.33.3 ( a upx'ed version is also available in the distribution file area ).
* 64-bit kernel available in distribtion files area.
* compressed swap in ram -> able to run more and longer, less crashes due to out of ram
* tmpfs root always -> no longer possible to exhaust ram in an "embed" boot via files
* improved virtualization support
* ext4 support in base/base tools
* delta extension updates as the default using zsync.
* glibc updated to 2.11.1 and recompiled against 2.6.33 kernel headers
* gcc updated to 4.4.3, recompiled against 2.6.33 kernel headers and cloog, ppl, mpfr, gmp
* e2fsprogs base libs/apps updated to 1.41.11
* kernel-agnostic dep files
* Updated many core files to support new 3.x repository.
* Updated search.sh, provides.sh, tc-config, tce-fetch, tce-setup, tce-load,
* Updated desktop.sh, startx, flwm, and wbar dropped jwm/wbar spec support.

Note:
Using 2.x type extensions will not work for 3.0 as no menu and no icons will appear for non-freedesktop extensions.. A script was run against the 3.x repository to strip out all jwm/wbar (/usr/local/tce.menu and /usr/local/tce.icons). 3.0 uses only freedesktop specs. The script auto created freedesktop items based on prior jwm/wbar specs.

Special Note:
This is alpha software. This is the first public access. Expect bugs. Not recommended for general use.

Alpha testing is for experienced Community Members to help test a totally new build of Tiny Core and help in creating needed updated modules and extensions.

Much work has been done by each Tiny Core Team member to create 3.0. Now is it time for the community to begin testing.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:08:08 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: Tiny Core 3.0 Alpha Testing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:09:53 AM »
Posting from tc 3.0 chromium - congratulations roberts and the tc team!

[edit]Where should we post bugs and such?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:14:20 AM by jur »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:45:55 AM »
As far as I remember it was discussed that 256 limit for max_loops will go away and there can be more loops used. What is the case?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:56:42 AM »
We have unlimited loops now, but the userspace is not yet up to it. Waiting for a new major busybox version.
Until then, the limit is 256, without anything specified on the command line (remove any max_loop limit for 3.x)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:18:36 AM »
It is not TC 3.0 bug, but a wrong repo conversion. In the 3.x repository the original .desktop files are overwritten and replaced with a .desktop file created from old TC definitions.

For example original filezilla.desktop is:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=FileZilla
GenericName=FTP client
GenericName[de]=FTP-Client
GenericName[fr]=Client FTP
Comment=Download and upload files via FTP, FTPS and SFTP
Comment[de]=Dateien ĂĽber FTP, FTPS und SFTP ĂĽbertragen
Comment[fr]=Transférer des fichiers via FTP, FTPS et SFTP
Exec=filezilla
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;FileTransfer;
Version=1.0
Icon=filezilla
X-FullPathIcon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/filezilla.png

Replaced with:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=FileZilla
Exec=/usr/local/bin/filezilla
Icon=filezilla
X-FullPathIcon=/usr/local/share/pixmaps/filezilla.png
Categories=Utility

You see there are fields deleted, category changed to the common, etc.

Please fix the 3.x repo and do not overwrite existing .desktop files.
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:00:19 AM »
If upstream .desktop files were not overwritten, then the tc menu entries and exec commands that users created would have been lost, as well as no multiple menu entries.  I chose to uphold the custom tc specific menu entry names and exec commands at the expense of upstream .desktop entries.  As well as overwriting the Icon field with the universally compatible Icon=iconI rather than not overwriting upstream.

If I had left existing .desktop files alone, then there would be complaints that I did not respect the user's custom menu entries and exec commands.  Had to make a choice. 

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:12:06 AM »
If upstream .desktop files were not overwritten, then the tc menu entries and exec commands that users created would have been lost, as well as no multiple menu entries.  I chose to uphold the custom tc specific menu entry names and exec commands at the expense of upstream .desktop entries.  As well as overwriting the Icon field with the universally compatible Icon=iconI rather than not overwriting upstream.

If I had left existing .desktop files alone, then there would be complaints that I did not respect the user's custom menu entries and exec commands.  Had to make a choice.  

Jason,

you can't destroy original .desktop files. Removing original category makes it useless for the desktop menu system. Removal of localized comments, names, etc. will cause problems using a localised TC.

If it was working fine in 2.11 why to demage it in 3.x? If it is needed not just to add a TC specific field but change the basic fields itself it means something wrong in 3.x !

If you intend to keep 3.x repo as it is now, you are killing LXDE and Xfce4.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:17:58 AM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline meo

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
Hi Team TinyCore!

Very good work! I was suspecting that something like this was going to happen and fortunately it did. I have TinyCore 3.0 Alfa 1 in a frugal install and haven't had a problem so far. I'm converted to flwm so the issues mentioned above haven't caused problems to me. Again, very good work!!!

Have fun improving TinyCore,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline florian

• Home Page
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
trying out TC3.0 alpha with bzImage64... will the also be an upxed bzImage64 ?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Tested "Net Boot" on Laptop, VIA C3, and Vortex 86.
Looks good.  No problems encountered so far.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »
upx doesn't support 64-bit kernels currently. Please wait a bit on the 64-bit builds; running the 64-bit kernel on the 32-bit build lacks the modules, among them loop support ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
Hi again!

Just a little thing. The link to TC 3.0 alpha 1 is missing the "3.0" and therefore it isn't found just by clicking on the link in Roberts initial announcement.

Have fun,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
Fixed! Thanks.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline meo

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
Hi!

Forgot a suggestion (Sweden is playing hockey right now so I might be a little distracted). I changed the colour of the title bar to medium grey instead of light blue and I think it looks better but it's just an aesthetical thing.

Have fun and keep up the good work,
meo

P.S. Nice new logo!!! D.S.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »
bmarkus-

3.x does not utilize tce.menu and tce.icon, that is why a conversion was done.  I didn't have time to do it manually, and the tc2freedesk utility in 2.x base was used.  If I left existing .desktop files alone, then there would have been extensions that did not work with simple WMs and other issues like multiple menu entries.  

The 3.x repo, like the base, is in alpha and is a starting point, not a destination.  If there are any extensions that do not have satisfactory .desktop files they can be mentioned in the "freedesktop standard for icons and desktop files" thread and I will copy over the 2.x desktop files with manual conversion if needed.  All you will have to do is mention the name and I will do the work.  I can't possibly do more than that.  

But, as no one knows more what the extension maker wants more than him, the extension maker converting his desktop files would be the most likely to assure his satisfaction.  That would have had to happen anyway if I did not do a repo conversion.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:19:56 PM by Jason W »