WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL unable to find my installed extensions...  (Read 2166 times)

Offline sbaguz

TCL unable to find my installed extensions...
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
I messed up my TCL 2.11 I installed and customized yesterday into a USB stick...  :'(
Because of a problem with an extension, I had the brilliant idea of erasing it from /tce/optional and manually editing the tce.lst file (on a Windows system  :o : a permission problem?)...
Result: when booting I correctly see the OnDemand extensions, I have my previous background and everything I changed... but I'm no more able to see and launch any installed extension!!!! I've tried to use the rebuilding database feature, to put the deleted tcz in its original position re-editing tce.lst and so on without success...

Is there a way to recover without reinstalling?

Thanks in advance

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TCL unable to find my installed extensions...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:32:38 AM »
Perhaps it's all just from having your lst file in Windows format; see if "file" says so, and if so, use dos2unix on it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline combo3

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »
Windows text editors add linefeed control characters.

You'll need to open tce.lst and remove all the '^M' in the file.

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »
Thanks!

It worked, but only at the second attempt... the second reboot I mean, I don't know why.

;)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:28:42 AM by sbaguz »

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:44:35 AM »
So, after some other test I have to admit that the problem is not related at all to the file editing... As a matter of fact I was in doubt about the solution above, because even if I was on a Windows system, I was using Notepad++, that gives me the option to respect the original encoding (CR / LF) of every file.

The first time I've been able to see my programs again I also changed the usb plug from which I booted: yes, as far as I know if I plug my usb installation of TCL in the docking station of my laptop I'm never able to see my installed extensions, while if I plug it directly in the laptop this happens only sometimes...

Very strange, I hope this is a problem related only to my usb stick (a SanDisk Cruzer Mini) or my docking station.  ;)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 03:19:15 AM »
More distant hubs take longer to initialize; for plugging into the station you'll likely need a longer waitusb time.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sbaguz

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »
That's the solution: waitusb=10 did the job!

Thx  :)