WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: version/non-version stamped packages  (Read 1614 times)

Offline ebo

version/non-version stamped packages
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »
I noticed that a lot of tcz packages do not have versioning in their names.  What is the rational behind removing them?

I am working on a Plan9 OS emulator running on TCL as a part of my Google Summer of Code project.  I was able to build the package without versioning, but when I added it several things broke and I have not been able to figure out why. At the moment, if I add it to the onboot.lst, everything comes up fine, but if I simply install it, the icon never appears.

Ideas?  suggestions?

EBo --

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: version/non-version stamped packages
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
Version numbers have been removed from the package names to ease the upgrade process.  Many of the extensions are maintained closely and are kept current.  The package management systems in TC use files with a list of the extensions available and installed and if those list had packages with the version number in the name it would take a lot more effort to ensure that the correct extensions are updated when needed, etc.  The version number is always listed in the info files for each extension for reference.

Offline ebo

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
Ah.  OK.  Thanks for the info. I am working on some experimental stuff and was going to keep the version numbers to aid in functionality testing.  I'll go ahead and remove the versioning on the one that is causing trouble and play with the other one that would be the most beneficial to have versions for.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »
What was the extension's filename for reference?