WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Emacs  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Justin Illusion

Emacs
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
Hello,

I was on DistroWatch looking for a USB Linux, 15 minutes ago and it lists Emacs under packages. I downloaded a .VDI of TC 2.1 and couldn't find Emacs anywhere. Does it exist?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Emacs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:33:09 AM »
Emacs is not listed on TC's Distrowatch page?
There is no extension for it so far AFAIK.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:13 AM »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Justin Illusion

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:13 AM »
Translation =]

I was on DistroWatch.com, looking for a small linux OS suitable for USB Thumb Drive isntallation.

This page: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=tinycore
says that Emacs in one of the packages.

So I downloaded a image file (.VDI) of Tiny Core Linux 2.1 for VirtualBox:
[removed: license]

It booted up fine; everything worked, I installed gcc and went onto Emacs, but it wasn't in the package listings.

So,  my question is:

Is there a Emacs (23.1) package available for Tine Core Linux 2.1, or was that a DistroWatch.com typo?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:20:43 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
I know nothing about emacs, but one thing is sure. TC 2.1 is a rather old version and it is not compatible with the current repository of extensions, so it is practically useless.

Use the latest stable release, 2.10 instead. Still it is very easy to setup under VirtualBox, so no need for the .vdi
Béla

Offline Justin Illusion

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:25 AM »
Thanks. I want to put it on USB, but without Emacs there's no point.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
No emacs available (yet). I believe you misread the table on DW, it lists the apps Distrowatch follows, and then on the right whether they are available, and in which versions. -- = not available.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Justin Illusion

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »
ahh. IC

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »
There is JED in the repository. I have never used, but it may be useful. Just a hint.

http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/

Béla

Offline lucky13

• my mostly linux-related blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »
I have emacs set up for my own use in TCL. The way I have it set up is within $HOME since I was building weekly snapshots back when I was using TCL more often than I currently am.

I was going to compile a standard TC extension of 23.1.1 last year but never bothered for the following reasons (among others):

• it's very large and (in some ways for most users) antithetical to the TC philosophy,
  • I didn't really want to start breaking it down into multiple packages with certain modes included in the main extension and then have to deal with maintaining each separate mode as an extension,
  • I'd have to deal with questions about methodology for how it was packaged into separate extensions as soon as I started trimming it down into various components, and
  • I figured anyone who wanted something as large and significant and geeky as emacs (and a TeX package) would probably be astute enough to compile it {him,her}self as desired.
FWIW, first post using weblogger.el within my persistent install of emacs:
http://lucky13linux.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/first-post-from-emacs-23-1-1-under-tinycore-linux/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:09:46 AM by lucky13 »

Offline Justin Illusion

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
So, basically you just wanted to promote yourself/your site.

Well, when I find USB distro I want to invest that kind of time supporting I will. Until then I'll use a Live distro.

I don't think there's anything geeky about Emacs.

Don't reply, this is my last post.

Offline lucky13

• my mostly linux-related blog
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »
I explained why I didn't submit it. I also suggested that the kind of user who wants/needs emacs, etc., is usually savvy enough to compile it {him,her}self AS DESIRED by said user. It takes up a lot of space if you just do a standard compile of it. As there doesn't appear to be a thriving community of emacs users here, I didn't get much input about whether to include LEIM or make it a separate extension, include or remove elisp files, split out various other stuff, etc. At what point is packaging the whole thing consistent with TC's philosophy?

Promote myself? As of the time I'm posting this reply, I've had eight hits from the tinycore forums today. Wow. I linked to reiterate why I didn't package it last year: "...I might try to recompile it in such a way that it might make a sensible TC extension. Not sure what to do about that without removing things a lot of people will want anyway."

So what would you want in an emacs package? Which modes do you use most often? What would you strip to make it more modular?

Investment of time? Not much if you want it. I wasn't opposed to submitting it in some form or fashion, but now even you don't want it anymore. So guess what will get submitted? Not the full blooming thing, and ao that means probably nothing will be submitted.

Don't reply, this is my last post.

Thanks for dropping by and spreading some... cheer.