WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.11rc3  (Read 20161 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: tinycore_v2.11rc3
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:25 AM »
I am confused... I can't lsusb, it reports lsusb not found... I'm sure I used this before?

Install usb-utils.tcz, it is not in the base.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 03:26:59 AM »
Thanks, the other time I used it, usb-utils must have been mounted. I thought it had something to do with the new busybox which lists lsusb as a new applet.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 05:37:23 AM »
They are not included in our config, because they are fairly useless to users.

They can't take advantage of the id databases, only print the id numbers. And that data is already available in /proc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »
Small Appbrowser cosmetics;

Trying to install extension already downloaded with more than one dot in the name like graphics-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz status message is

graphics-2 is already downloaded!

instead of

graphics-2.6.29.1-tinycore is already downloaded!

Fixed! Thanks for the report.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline sandras

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 07:22:23 AM »
I don't know who made the /usr/share/pixmaps/power.png icon and I don't want to insult anybody, but could I suggest a replacement for it? I made an exit icon for TC (attached) and I think it looks better than the current one. But that's just my opinion. Thanks.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
No copy/paste in Appbrowser :( I just wanted to visit a WEB listed in the info file.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
No plans to add the bulk of editor capabilities to Appbrowser.
As a work around you could always deal with the currently available local copy of the .info file, as appbrowser quite simply loads up such file for its display.

Offline althalus

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 01:44:33 AM »
No plans to add the bulk of editor capabilities to Appbrowser.
As a work around you could always deal with the currently available local copy of the .info file, as appbrowser quite simply loads up such file for its display.
Why not remove the line:
Code: [Select]
      status_out->deactivate();It's an output box, so one can not change the contents of it, and a quick test shows that one can copy from an active Fl_Output. Small change, huge improvement in usability.

Also since I'm posting here, what are the chances of getting a more useful mnttool included in the base? All I'm really asking for is a change in the way the info is displayed. I've already made the changes I need to make mnttool useful to me, but it would be nice for it be part of the base. My mnttool is only 1KB bigger than the one in base anyway. See http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5870.msg31197

Offline frimical

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 03:25:20 AM »
hello everybody,

thnx for all the improvements done to TC.

@roberts
please can you consider these suggestions please:

[Appbrowser] 
      1- will it be feasable to add the possibility to download straight from appbrowser the 'latest TC's distribution files, either release or final  (reason is appbrwser is here from the start, and it's a point-and-click, so no need to any other app/utility to achieve this).
      2- Is it possible to homogenize the colors used as visual helpers, (ie Red-Orange-Green):
like using red when there is an error,  orange/yellow when action is going on, and finally green when everything went OK? (so when applied to appbrowser, appbrowser starts with orange, keep the color orange as long as it's still processing - this can half replace the need to have a progress bar-, and finally color turns to red or green (instead of the actual yellow) according to the result.

this will lead to simplify things as in 'mnttool' as an example:

[mnttool]
switch the buttons:
- the upper one keeps the same behavior, ie to go to the next drive to mount ( this button can be splitted to two buttons : previous-next )
- the lower button will show the drive name on a RED background, and toggles to GREEN if and when mounted, keeping its status to the next toggle.
So no more need to show the words 'mounted/unmounted, anymore, specially that if we are using this utility is effectivelly is to mount and unmount drives, no need to read cause colors are faster to provide the meaning.

@althalus
this simplification can be applied to your mnttool.
I think one button is sufficient for all three needs from this tool:  show a label, reflect a status info and provide action. (this will reduce the size of the dialog too).

[default keymap]
   Is it possible to use 'us-acentos.kmap' as the default one?

thank you

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
Keep in mind that all non-current RC issues are not appropriate for threads in this section.  Please use a suitable section to continue discussion.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
I don't know who made the /usr/share/pixmaps/power.png icon and I don't want to insult anybody, but could I suggest a replacement for it? I made an exit icon for TC (attached) and I think it looks better than the current one. But that's just my opinion. Thanks.
And smaller in size too. Thanks for your effort. Will be in next cut.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
Probably issue I noticed has nothing to do with the core but rather with extensions, but since it is RC forum I think this is the right place to report...
What I am experiencing (after many repetitive tests) is that with Hackedbox, after loading Xorg (which is necessary for resolution) if Chromium is installed (or sometimes Firefox), it messes up the Wbar, effectively making it useless and necessitating reboot...
Steps to re-create:
1. Boot TC
2. Install Xorg
3. Install Hackedbox
4. CTRL+ALT+Backspace
5. startx
6. Install Chromium (or Firefox, depending on Hackedbox theme)
After this the Wbar is quite messed up to the point of useless if you try to start Chromium of Firefox.
It is possible it might be specific to my hardware but at this point it does not look like it...
This problem does not happen with Openbox.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
I can confirm the hackedbox problem but it can be reproduced with Xvesa ie a clean TC and hackedbox. It has to do with the background fake transparency of wbar but is not a problem with other WMs.

It is also not limited to tc2.11rc3.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:01:22 PM by jur »

Offline meanpt

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 04:47:55 AM »
 :) The problems I experienced before in RC1 and RC2 are almost gone.

1. VirtualBox folder sharing with Windows - OK
2. Installing ("installing"= selecting the application tcz in the application browser, clicking "install" and wait for the downloading and installation of all dependencies and the application itself) applications are achieved until completion without interruptions

Remaining stuff which I don't know if are meant to stay as an option of the developers and community:

3. Some applications, after being installed ("installing"= selecting the application tcz in the application browser, clicking "install" and waiting for the download and installation of all dependencies and the application itself), are shown in the Applications menu (e.g. XFE, XFW, XFI, XFV) while others don't (e.g. Abiword, Shiretoko, Midori), despite, for the later ones, their icons being displayed in the dock bar. I got this around by putting the later ones as "On Demand" (I suppose I don't need to explain how I did this), which even improved the boot speed without sacrificing to much the starting speed of the applications.

4. In live mode, with 400 MB of RAM allowed for the VB virtual machine, I installed the gnome icon themes (as recommended) and epiphany (again, "installation= ...."), which didn't show nor in the Applications menu nor in the dock bar, and when I tried to run it from the terminal (by writing "epiphany" at the terminal prompt and waiting for it to run),  I got:

- 3 lines in terminal displaying each the same next text:
"Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.="
- a pop up window displays:
as Title: Could not start Gnome Web Browser
as explaining text: Startup failed because of the following error: Failed to create directory "/home/tc/gnome2/epiphany"

That's all.

Meanpt

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:53:11 AM by meanpt »

Offline maro

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
Following the report from meanpt I'd like to add my 2 cents ...

I believe that the 3. point reported is the same as in reply #10, point (2). And I think Robert has made a change for it already.

Furthermore WRT 'epiphany.tcz' I guess the menu and wbar problems are a consequence from the fact that the 'epiphany.desktop' file doesn't contain an 'X-FullPathIcon' entry. I had a bit of a look over some other extensions and it appears that there are quite a few to which this also applies. I assume that there will be a fuller migration of all extensions as time progresses.

Another point is the (already know) fact that 'webkit.tcz' (which 'epiphany.tcz' depends on) is currently "broken" due to the rebuild of 'icu.tcz'. In my test I therefore did not even get as far as seeing a window pop up.