Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

VBox OSE persistent

(1/1)

devplan:
I have installed TC on an USB external HDD (ext3) connected to a DELL D600 and installed the VBox OSE module.
I modified the GRUB menu.lst to include the startup options:
waitusb-7 tce=sda1 home=sda1 opt=sda1 restore=sda1

On a reboot, my VBox is still installed but not the Machines & HDDs I have setup.
(I've set my VirtualBox/HardDisks and Machines to sda3 (ext3)

What settings do I need to do in order to have my VBox machines and HDD saved?

rgds, devplan

maro:
I might have an idea what the issue could be: VBox stores its configuration in a directory that is by default in the home directory. The executable of the GUI (i.e. '/usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox') is owned by root and the SUID bit is set. Therefore the VBox configuration directory becomes '/root/.VirtualBox'. I guess that directory is not included in your backup and therefore the settings are lost after a reboot.

If my assumption is correct you would simply have to add 'root/.VirtualBox' to your backup list (i.e. '/opt/.filetool.lst') and recreate your virtual machines (or change the respective directory entries in 'File -> Preferences -> General'). I assume the hard disks are still on sda3 and "only" some (global) configuration was lost.

Furthermore it might be prudent to review the content of '/opt/.filetool.lst'. As you are using backup AND persistent opt/home you probably don't want to include those files and directories from /opt and /home in the backup as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version