WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.11rc2  (Read 12147 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v2.11rc2
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
The Second Release Candidate of v2.11 (tinycore_2.11rc2.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates

tinycore_2.11rc2.iso
tinycore_2.11rc2.iso.md5.txt

Change log for Tiny Core v2.11

RC1
* New freedesktop system menu and extension support for flwm, LXDE, XFCE, jwm, and hackedbox.
* Updated flwm_topside_initmenu for freedesktop support
* Updated flwm_topside_makemenu for freedesktop support
* Updated desktop.sh for freedesktop support
* New tc2freedesk for freedesktop support
* New wbar_icon_upd.sh for freedesktop support
* Added new "Power Off" (exit) button to wbar.
* New OnDemand support for flwm, LXDE, and XFCE, jwm, and hackedbox.
* Updated ondemand script to accept argument now callable from appbrowser/tce-load & appsaudit.
* Updated appbrowser with "Mirrors", and "OnDemand" menu creation.
* Updated appsaudit with "OnDemand" selection/creation from existing downloaded extensions.
* Updated appsaudit "Update Dependencies" to support recursion, and separate "Build Database" option.
* New "Services" added to system menu and required /etc/init.d/services.
* New optional zsync update support for faster extension updates.
* Updated tc-config waitusb added optional LABEL/UID, e.g. waitusb=30:LABEL=tinycore
* Updated wallpaper added center option.
* Updated tc-functions CMDLINE to not require kernel specific options before tinycore options
* Updated tce-load to trap mount errors.
* Updated tc-config PXE to support DOS/Windows created lists.
* Updated flwm_topside tile fonts.
* Updated /root/.profile to use login instead of su -
* Fixed utc TZ bug in tc-config
* Re-organized cpanel removing OnDemand, TCE MIrrors, and daemons now handled by Services.
* Updated appbrowser, moved ab2tce.fifo pipe to /tmp.
* Added /var/run/utmp and /var/log/wtmp to support "who" reporting.

Notes: Files that have changed and are likely in your backup or persistent store.

/opt/.xfiletool.lst                 change home/tc/.wmx/Applications to home/tc/.wmx
/home/tc/.setbackground   the location of logo.png has changed to /usr/share/pixmaps
                                         either edit this file or use Control Panel-Wallpaper-Color-OK

Note: For jwm and hackedbox release candidate extensions see the Microcore announcment.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5801.0

RC2
* Updated busybox to 1,16,1
* Moved "Power Off" exit button to first position in wbar.
* Updated tc2freedesk to handle multiple menu items.
* Updated flwm & _topside to handle multiple .desktop items in an extension, via naming convention.
* Fixed Appsaudit OnDemand Exit menu name.
* New .X.d/ directory for startup X programs. See wbar as an example of sourced in items.
* Updated Appsaudit to fold in capitialized extension names.
* Updated getTime.sh with -p (print only) and simplied busybox date format.

Files that have changed in this RC:
.xsession                          Now uses .X.d/

Note also that several window managers have freedesktop and ondemand support. Their release candidate versions are in the microcore announcement:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5843.0
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:26:06 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: tinycore_v2.11rc2
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding .X.d:

I renamed my .xsession so tc wouldn't find it. After booting I found a newly created .xsession, with a new .X.d statement at the end, but no .X.d directory - searching didn't find it. Where is it located? I don't see in in /~...

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
Good stuff Robert (+ Core team)!!

I've just re-tested the "funny" behaviour of 'appbrowser', and can report that this appears to be now fixed.

It's nice to see a new version of BusyBox. I was wondering whether it could be compiled with the VI editing mode enabled. Another question would to to potentially include new applets like lspci and lsusb.

@jur: Did you do ls -la ~/.X.d? I at least "see" this directory and the 'wbar' file (which is now part of the initrd in the form of '/etc/skel/.X.d/wbar').

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Confirmed Opera10 now installs with wbar icon present.
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
Good stuff Robert (+ Core team)!!

I've just re-tested the "funny" behaviour of 'appbrowser', and can report that this appears to be now fixed.

It's nice to see a new version of BusyBox. I was wondering whether it could be compiled with the VI editing mode enabled. Another question would to to potentially include new applets like lspci and lsusb.

@jur: Did you do ls -la ~/.X.d? I at least "see" this directory and the 'wbar' file (which is now part of the initrd in the form of '/etc/skel/.X.d/wbar').

As I have been quite busy with the freedesktop implementation, I did not compile the new busybox. I will however pass along your request and see if it can be done for the next RC.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tim2092008

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
Ive ben around tinycore before version 2.2. Just waiting for my sound and wifi to work with a clean install. And it still does not work. At my house i can only access my neighbors internet wirelessy. So i cannot download extensions without wireless. It would be nice to have a page on this site that you can just download extensions and load then to a tiny core install usb or cd..doesnt matter. Ive ben waiting so loong to use tiny core and still can not.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ ls -la ~/.X.d
ls: /home/tc/.X.d: No such file or directory

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:20 AM »
In appbrowser -> mirrors, you cannot edit the mirror URL at the bottom.
I use my own mirror, and I have to edit tcemirror manually.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:23:27 AM by gerald_clark »

Offline maro

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:34:32 AM »
@tim2092008: I don't think that this is a suitable thread for you to get help with your wireless card problem. I'd suggest you open a new one and specify exactly your hardware (using the 'lspci' command from the 'pci-utils.tcz' extension might allow you to provide us with some details).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:12:05 AM by maro »

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 04:23:33 AM »
Good Morning:

Two questions/comments re rc2

1. I load all my extensions into RAM. While loading extensions with rc2 I get an error message for each extension:

Error: Could not umount /mnt/test Permission denied.

I then find many (apparently one per extension) "/mnt/test" mounted.

I did not change anything from rc1 so something is different here.

2. I also do not understand .X.d/
The directory is there containing wbar file with one line relating to wbar. My .xsession file is there and everything seems to work as before. To test,  I renamed .xsession and restarted x. I then got a new .xsession fine which was fine except my own customizations (starting xscreensaver) are not present (as expected).

Should I copy my working .xsession into .X.d/wbar and delete .xsession  going forward. Is something else required?

Thanks and best regards,

sci_fi

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 04:55:51 AM »
Good Morning:

Two questions/comments re rc2

1. I load all my extensions into RAM. While loading extensions with rc2 I get an error message for each extension:

Error: Could not umount /mnt/test Permission denied.

I then find many (apparently one per extension) "/mnt/test" mounted.

I did not change anything from rc1 so something is different here.

Good find. This is from the busybox update, now it behaves more properly like the GNU versions, and we had depended on the old behavior.

The point being that random loop mounts cannot be unmounted by users. Adding sudo there should fix it.

--- tce-load   2010-04-24 14:49:42.000000000 +0300
+++ tce-load.new   2010-04-24 14:53:45.000000000 +0300
@@ -55,7 +55,7 @@
          yes n | sudo cp -ai /mnt/test/. / 2>/dev/null
          [ -d /mnt/test/usr/local/lib/modules ] && MODULES=TRUE
       fi
-      busybox umount -d /mnt/test
+      sudo busybox umount -d /mnt/test
    fi
 }

2. I also do not understand .X.d/
The directory is there containing wbar file with one line relating to wbar. My .xsession file is there and everything seems to work as before. To test,  I renamed .xsession and restarted x. I then got a new .xsession fine which was fine except my own customizations (starting xscreensaver) are not present (as expected).

Should I copy my working .xsession into .X.d/wbar and delete .xsession  going forward. Is something else required?

Thanks and best regards,

sci_fi

You can put new files there for autostarting with X. For example you could create a new file there to start xscreensaver, and so not need to change anything in .xsession between core updates.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:09:59 AM »
Any idea why the /.X.d is not present in my persistent /home? wbar does load despite its absence.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 05:18:04 AM »
If you already had persistent home, it is not touched during updates. You'll need to manually check against /etc/skel if you wish to change something.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 08:56:57 AM »
If you already had persistent home, it is not touched during updates. You'll need to manually check against /etc/skel if you wish to change something.
But when I renamed .xsession, a fresh one WAS copied across to my persistent /home. So why not /.X.d?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:44 AM »
That would be a special case, if .xsession does not exist, it's restored by xsetup (which is run by startx if .xsession is not there). More bullet-proof X that way ;)