WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Persistent installation  (Read 1891 times)

Offline woocash

Persistent installation
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »
I tried following the manual, but I must be doing sth. wrong.

These are my boot options in menu.lst:

quiet text norestore home=hda1 opt=hda1 tce=hda1 local=hda1 max_loop=256 vga=795 host=terminal

I want the installation to be as persistent as possible, but nothinks wants to work - even user passwords are forgotten after reboot.

Offline Guy

Re: Persistent installation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
Some of your boot options need to be left out. For example, leave out local=hda1. Unless you intentionally want to boot into text mode, leave out text.

Here is what I use:

title   Tiny Core
root   (hd0,0)
kernel   /boot/bzImage quiet tce=sda1 home=sda1 opt=sda1 norestore max_loop=256
initrd   /boot/tinycore.gz

The norestore option will prevent the backup from a previous session being loaded when you start the computer. If you want the backup to be loaded, leave out the norestore option.

I don't use backup. I make extensions for anything not saved in home or opt.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline woocash

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
And what happens to etc/shadow? Are the passwords saved between reboots?

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
@woocash: AFAIK none of the files from '/etc' are saved between reboots.

You've got a couple of options how you ensure their "survival". One (as indicated by Guy) is to create a private extension, but that would mean that whenever you change a password you'll need to re-create that extension.

Another way would be to add the appropriate file names to '/opt/.filetool.lst' (without their leading forward slash). Here you have to be mindful that you remove entries for the files from opt and home since you seem to plan to maintain their persistence via 'hda1'. Otherwise you'd end up with persistence via 'hda1' and the backup. Don't forget to ensure that a backup is performed (e.g. as part of the shutdown).