WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A few issues re. python 2.5  (Read 1830 times)

Offline maro

A few issues re. python 2.5
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »
Triggered by another thread I got curious and thought I better open a new one with a some of my observations:

(1) Missing dependency of 'openssl-0.9.8.tcz' for 'python-2.5.2.tcz' (I know it's "old news", but it might be better to collect all of those in one place here).

(2) Missing dependency of 'openssl-0.9.8.tcz' for 'python-2.5.2-minimal.tcz'

(3) In 'python-2.5.2-minimal.tcz.info' a reference is made to 'edna.tcz', but a statement in 'edna.tcz.info' reads: "python-2.5.2-minimal does not work at the moment"  :( So this extension is probably not used by anything.

I'm a great fan of minimalistic requirements. Whenever possible I try to use 'microperl-5.8.9.tcz' instead of the "full blown" version. I now wonder if it would be feasible to create a "micro Python 2.6" extension. I believe I pretty much "know my way around" Perl, but have not really used Python much at all. I'm therefore unlikely to kick things off, but I'm willing to test to see if other extensions (e.g. mercurial) would work with such a stripped down version. Are there any takers for such an idea?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: A few issues re. python 2.5
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
Fixed the dep file issues.

One of the reason I did not pursue a minimal version of the current python is that the definition of minimal is not a fixed thing, though Debian's minimal python was used as a guide.  The minimal version of python worked with edna when python-minimal was created, but with the latest edna apparently it does not.  But I have no  issue if someone wants to create a small python extension that is just big enough to run edna.

Offline combo3

Re: A few issues re. python 2.5
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »

(3) In 'python-2.5.2-minimal.tcz.info' a reference is made to 'edna.tcz', but a statement in 'edna.tcz.info' reads: "python-2.5.2-minimal does not work at the moment"  :( So this extension is probably not used by anything.

FWIW, running edna with python-2.5.2-minimal.tcz generates the following error messages:

Code: [Select]
tc@box:/usr/local/bin$ edna.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/edna.py", line 49, in <module> import md5
  File "/tmp/tcloop/python-2.5.2-minimal/usr/local/lib/python2.5/md5.py", line 6, in <module>
    from hashlib import md5
  File "/tmp/tcloop/python-2.5.2-minimal/usr/local/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py", line 133, in <module>
    md5 = __get_builtin_constructor('md5')
  File "/tmp/tcloop/python-2.5.2-minimal/usr/local/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py", line 60, in __get_builtin_constructor
    import _md5
ImportError: No module named _md5

So apparently, the minimal version is mising /usr/local/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/_md5.so

python.tcz (2.6.5) has it.
python-2.5.2.tcz doesn't but seems to work with _hashlib.so