WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: /etc/fstab....how do I save my version please?  (Read 2243 times)

aus9

/etc/fstab....how do I save my version please?
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:24:23 AM »
Hi

I am going to regret asking this question.....just to prove I am still a TC newbie but others might not find it easily by searching as its such a common term

What I tried was editting my /etc/fstab.....with root powers....and running rebuildfstab.....then adding

etc/fstab.....to /opt/.filetool.lst

upon reboot it was not working.

2) ok so undid above and put desired copy in my /home/tc....which is persistant and using root powers add a simpe command

cp -f /home/tc/fstab /etc/fstab.....to file /opt/bootlocal.sh

but I am not quite doing it correctly as on reboot I am back to the TC fstab.

3) Anyone know where I am going wrong pls?

As a simple test I removed the # (comments) in case I was doing something illegal....trying to dumb it down.

regards

gordy

PS as a complete newbie.....the filetool.lst dropping the first / caught me out the first time.....I needed to put my glasses on and put my glass of beer down

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: /etc/fstab....how do I save my version please?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:47:29 AM »
Doing a backup of it, and adding the bootcode "nofstab" should work.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

aus9

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »
hi

Short answer

my new fstab is loading thanks

--------------------

longer answer...pls do not read unless you wish to understand a TC newbie

My first error in the earlier post was to issue another "rebuildfstab" command......its obvious when I think about it now....but I was kind of following my rule based on the install guide....that if I do something .....then run that command........I think I need to say.....don't run that rebuildfstab command.

I discovered my error today just now...by peeking into the fstab

(2) My understanding of backup....might need a polish?
What I thought that meant was......delete my script from onboot to copy my home fstab.....have my new fstab already in /etc
add a line to /opt/.filetool.lst ....AND edit /mnt/sda2/boot/grub/menu.lst to append nofstab.......click on cpanel....click on backup....backup my partition.

after a pause while backup occurs I thought I would do a reboot to test

(3) in clicking reboot....I unchecked the backup thinking....I have just done one........failing TC 101......(lol) and rebooted to what looked like TCB
re-doing the checkbox and rebooting into lxde....all looks good for my fstab

(4) but at some stage I had issued the rebuildfstab command .....and on this new reboot......I check what is good and different

/etc/fstab...is good
/opt/.filetool.lst is good with etc/fstab
/mnt/sda2/boot/grub/menu.lst line for kernel /boot/bzImage home=sda2 tce=sda2
(there is nofstab appending that line)

but fstab is good so thats all that matters

sorry for the extra waffle.....but written in case it helps someone

PS IMHO my errors were failure to understand what rebuildfstab would do and failure to use TC in persistant mode by keeping the checkbox for my sda2 ticked.

If I had taken the time to view the aftermath of rebuldfstab I could have saved ppl some time................sorry

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:45:40 PM by aus9 »

aus9

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
hi

oops

I thought I would make sure my grub had that nofstab line.....that was a mistake

to Anyone

Pls test my assertion that you are NOT to use nofstab unless you intend to go to TCB pls

one quick way of testing is as follows:

at grub menu...press E to edit and press e to edit the kernel line......append the string  "nofstab" without the quotes please....press b to boot

for me.....that seems to be always taking me into TCB and not my loved lxde.

to exit......click on menu option or lxde option and UNCHECK any mention of backup......this will not be your hda1 or sda2 etc partition in any case

If some kind soul could verify this ..................I can then post the suggested solution and mark first post as solved.

sorry if this sounds arrogant

(2) There is still the matter of my usb entries to fix but will probably still use noauto as the option

regards

gordy