WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What's the best lightweight Linux distro?  (Read 53264 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: What's the best lightweight Linux distro?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
@ roberts && curaga: I agree, so i decided to try my hand at documentation.
@ roberts: I have read in various posts that you want TCL to be flexible and users to have
                 choices as to how they install TCL. These instructions are not intended
                 to undermine that goal, merely to push newcomers to a known starting
                 point so that they can try TCL and become comfortable with it before trying
                 more advanced installs. Feel free to suggest changes, corrections or
                 reject it as you see fit. This was written in an attempt to take the newcomer
                 by the hand and walk them through the process.

[EDIT]: Attachment moved to http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11257.msg58894.html#msg58894
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:31:58 AM by Rich »

Offline Guy

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 11:12:10 PM »
I hope distrowatch won't be writing tc/mc is for "old computers". That is off-putting.

Anyone can put comments on Distrowatch. It may be worth letting them know about this.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline hiro

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
True, I think tc is not nice with old computers. With 16 Megs of RAM Debian would run fine and tc not at all.
That's why we don't think in black and white.

I would also like to see simpler documentation, but it seems to me that everything is in constant flux because of rapid development, so I never know where to start...
In my experience it was often faster and more rewarding to read the source rather than docs, release notes and changelogs. Commands like vi `which tce-setup`got very important for me to track development.

Offline hiro

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Oh, the pirates are well aware of Daemon Tools ;) What surprises them in linux is that loop mounts are considered a part of the core os, not some payware.

Heh, that's why I use tinycore. It feels so great to know each app I use has been automatically MOUNTED just like when I used to run Daemon Tools. ;)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »
@Rich, Thank you for your submission. It is currently under review and will likely be distributed in the packet to be given out at the upcoming Scale9x event. It will then be added to the website.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
@roberts: Thank you for allowing me to contribute to TCL.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
Rich's document renamed to Quick & Easy Overview is now incorporated into our website (tinycorelinux.com:/overview.html).
It is linked near the bottom of tinycorelinux.com:/intro.html and near the top of
tinycorelinux.com:/install.html

Also linked in the forum at http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7495.0
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:28:19 PM by roberts »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Hi roberts
I'm sorry to say I spotted 2 small errors (mine not your's).
For the minimum CPU it should be i486DX
On the AppBrowser instructions I forgot to mention clicking the set button if the
destination is modified.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »
Edit done. Thanks.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »
Excellent addition! I wonder if I might comment - this great overview is linked a bit obscurely... it seems to me that this is something that might be placed more prominently, near the top, and indicated with bold font. Or it might get its own link on the front page under the logo?

One further suggestion: I think it could do with a description of the differences between OnBoot and OnDemand and when to use what. I looked all over the tcl site and couldn't find this description anywhere.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
Hi jur
Thank you for the compliment. The primary focus was to get someone up and running. I therefore limited
my explanations to how the listed installation modes differed so that they could make an informed choice.
While knowing the difference between OnBoot and OnDemand may be relevant in fine tuning one's setup
it is not required knowledge for the first time user. Like it or not, somebody who is new to Linux probably
won't care about technical details, they just want to see it run. If you can get them that far, hopefully they
will like Tinycore and you can ease them into what makes TC work the way it does. Half the battle is
getting people to read the documentation, short and to the point is the easiest way to get there. If roberts
asks me to I will try to write up a clear and brief discription on the differences, however I don't believe it
belongs in this overview.

Offline danny0085

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
This article might help you to decide what is the  best linux distro for you

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Code: [Select]
The URL http://"http://tips-linux.net/en/linux-ubuntu/linux-articles/choosing-best-linux-distro-you" contains characters that are not valid in the location they are found.
 ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline hiro

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »
But why don't they include tinycore and what is with all the flashy java scripts on this page?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 03:34:43 AM »
But why don't they include tinycore and what is with all the flashy java scripts on this page?
Yes, and why would friends let friends use ubuntu?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)