WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Thank you tinycore  (Read 4210 times)

Offline balth

Thank you tinycore
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Hello folks,

I'm a fairly recent user of tc, having made the move from zenwalk.  I just wanted to say a great big thank you to the people behind it.  Lacking the skill to do it myself, i have been waiting for a very long time for something like tc.  I tried almost every distro and mini-disro around, never finding something that was for me, not even gentoo or LFS - all had their problems.  TC however seems perfect.  It does seem wierd having a great big hard-drive with almost no space taken up on it yet.  I'll soon fix that  ;D

So again, you have my thanks, Sir/s

Offline tclfan

Re: Thank you tinycore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »
Balth,

I also moved to TC from Zenwalk after 5.2. That was after playing with other distros too, such as SliTaz. I am just curious what made you move over from Zenwalk...
TinyCore it top of the line and advances fast in the right direction thanks to creative development team, so I am not surprised you noticed this too...

Offline balth

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:18:06 AM »
Hi tclfan,

It's hard to say what made me switch completely, zenwalk is still an outstanding OS, but it just doesn't fit into my narrow view of how my pc should have evolved.  As memory, computing power and HD space has increased (my first pc was a 386 running mulinux and i dreamed of the day I'd have more thabn 500Mb of HD space) i wanted my OS to shrink, grow faster, not slow down and get fat.  TinyCore fits into what I wanted more than zen does i guess.

It's also pretty cool!

Offline pokute

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:51:59 AM »
I thought this thread would be a good place for me to mention how impressed I am with tinycore. I was surfing through the various small linuxes, and just happened to try tinycore under qemu... It totally floored me. Very well designed. I'm going to install it on my eepc 2g surf tonight.

Offline iks

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56:31 AM »
Passed here just to wrote BIG BIG THANKS to all who make TC possible!
I'm really impressed with it! After years finally found this distro, I'm used working on Debian and RH4 (server-side), I feel this distro like a breath of fresh air - was perfect to revive my 6 years old Compaq TC1000 (just one issue found, integrated Intel NIC won't work because of firmware loading issues) and now my tablet run very fast, never seen it boot in 40 sec.
 ;D
Thanks TC community and developers

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »
integrated Intel NIC won't work because of firmware loading issues

Should work after loading firmware.tcz extension, have you tried that?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline iks

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »
Should work after loading firmware.tcz extension, have you tried that?
After installing firmware.tcz still no joy,but isn't an issue, I have a spare 3com pcmcia lying around if ethernet is needed.And after all my target was have wireless working for this machine and it work very well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:06:12 PM by iks »

Offline Wayne

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:35:52 AM »
Thanks for the Great post! Keep it up!