Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

fonts and special characters not displaying properly

(1/1)

nathan.f77:
Hi there,

I have installed tinycore on a thin client and am using it to stream internet radio from last.fm (with an app called shell.fm).
Its not a big deal, but instead of displaying "nathan_f77's Library", the console displays "nathan_f77’s Library", and "Café del Mar" is displayed as "Café del Mar".
I figured out its a problem with the font on aterm, i changed it to something like 10x20 for better visibility.

Can anybody help me with configuring a font that can have a relatively large size, as well as supporting utf8?

Thanks,
Nathan Broadbent

UPDATE:

I found the 'xlsfonts' command, and tried about 10 or 15 of the listed fonts but EVERY font has the same problem. I'm putting it down to lack of utf8 support, and would love some advice.

florian:
I think aterm doesn't support UTF-8 enconding and that this cannot be fixed just by changing font.  I see two options:

1) use another terminal that supports UTF-8 (I think there are some in the repo)

2) if you need only accentuated latin characters (as in your examples), you could still use aterm by converting out the UTF-8 characters sequences to latin-1. For example if you have perl installed, you could pipe the following to shell.fm standard output:
--- Code: ---perl -MEncode=from_to -pe 'from_to($_,"utf8","latin1");'
--- End code ---

nathan.f77:
Hi, thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to leave the aterm alone. My problem was mostly caused because I was fetching data from the a terminal program called 'nc', but I know I can write that pretty easily into a ruby script. Anyhow, thanks for your help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version