WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Gah! Simple Problem  (Read 5238 times)

Offline jimmyd

Gah! Simple Problem
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
I downloaded TC and installed. However, I cannot get the Appbrowser to work. I connect the Ethernet cable and my router assigns an IP via DHCP. I can both ping and run a traceroute to Yahoo.com servers. So the connection is live. But Appbrowser throws a "connection error, check network". ???

Any help?

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: Gah! Simple Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
Try using the Panel to toggle DHCP or to play with the settings in netcardconfig.

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
Do you have a HTTP proxy somewhere on the way? I guess a simple wget $(cat /opt/tcemirror) will help you troubleshooting the connection to your currently selected mirror. To change the mirror use "Control Panel" -> "Select Mirror".

Offline jimmyd

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
Try using the Panel to toggle DHCP or to play with the settings in netcardconfig.

Yes, I did that and I couldn't get a setting to work.

I forgot to mention that that I was able to download a file successfully use wget. So it's not a networking connection problem.

edit: wget $(cat /opt/tcemirror that command throws an error "bad addess: 'distro.ibiblio.org'
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:29:16 PM by jimmyd »

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
Providing I can read the source code correctly, this error message should only appear when /usr/bin/tce-fetch.sh info.lst.gz is failing.

You could try this from the command line and (providing it downloads the file correctly) give 'appbrowser' another chance.

Offline jimmyd

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:43 PM »
/usr/bin/tce-fetch.sh info.lst.gz .

That command simply returns "not found".

Offline maro

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
What is the content of your '/opt/tcemirror' file? To "see" what's happening you could also try: sh -vx /usr/bin/tce-fetch.sh info.lst.gz

All this indicates to me that you've made a change somewhere from what I'd consider a "typical" TC system.

Offline jimmyd

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
What is the content of your '/opt/tcemirror' file? To "see" what's happening you could also try: sh -vx /usr/bin/tce-fetch.sh info.lst.gz

All this indicates to me that you've made a change somewhere from what I'd consider a "typical" TC system.

Not me! I just downloaded the distro, installed, booted. Didn't change a thing.

The results of the command you gave

read MIRROR < /opt/tcemirror
+read MIRROR
[ -f "$1" ] && rm -f "$1"
+[ -f info.lst.gz ]
busybox wget -cq "$MIRROR"/2.x/tcz/"$1"
+busybox wget -cq http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrabutions/tinycorelinux//2.x/tcz/info.lst.gz
wget: bad address: 'distro.ibiblio.org'

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:25:59 PM by jimmyd »

Offline maro

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
With this result it's hard to believe that you could "download a file successfully use wget".

Is DNS working? What do you get with cat /etc/resolv.conf? BTW, 'distro.ibiblio.org' appears to be 152.46.7.109, so you could try to replace 'distro.ibiblio.org' with '152.46.7.109' in '/opt/tce/mirror'.

Offline jimmyd

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
With this result it's hard to believe that you could "download a file successfully use wget".

Is DNS working? What do you get with cat /etc/resolv.conf? BTW, 'distro.ibiblio.org' appears to be 152.46.7.109, so you could try to replace 'distro.ibiblio.org' with '152.46.7.109' in '/opt/tce/mirror'.

just to be clear I did not download a file successfully from that address with wget, I downloaded a file from another website; I was just testing my internet connection.

I can successfully ping the IP you listed.

The result of the command cat /etc/resolv.conf returns the IP of my internet gateway.

BTW, thank you for taking the time to help.

UPDATE: Your suggestion of replacing the words with the IP worked successfully.  I now get a listing from Appbrowser.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:25:16 PM by jimmyd »

Offline maro

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:13 PM »
OK, so it's a DNS issue.

If you can 'ping' an IP address you obviously have (some) network connectivity, but I wonder what happens when you ping distro.ibiblio.org or maybe even more interesting nslookup distro.ibiblio.org

Offline jimmyd

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »
OK, so it's a DNS issue.

If you can 'ping' an IP address you obviously have (some) network connectivity, but I wonder what happens when you ping distro.ibiblio.org or maybe even more interesting nslookup distro.ibiblio.org

If I ping the first it just throws the same bad address. If I ping the nslookup it actually resolves the address (tells me it's 63.146.68.202) and sends packets but then it just hangs. If ping 63.146.68.202 directly it too hangs.

edit: I see I misunderstood the second command. If I type nslookup distro.ibiblio.org it returns the IP of my gateway.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:25:13 PM by jimmyd »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:01:43 PM »
For DNS issues, might be helpful to read this:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=753.msg12310#msg12310

Might want to change your /etc/resolv.conf to directly use your ISP DNS numbers or perhaps even a public DSN server such as:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jimmyd

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 07:40:59 AM »
I don't understand why this is a problem though for just that name space. All I did was change the default mirror from "distro.ibiblio.org/pub" to "IP/pub". I then got a listing from Appbrowser. I then downloaded Firefox and was suffering the web just as normal as can be. In other words, it seems to resolve every other DNS correctly, just not that one.

I did notice last night that in the network card set up there are two lines for nameservers. When I boot the Live CD it defaults to the first nameserver to my Internet Gateway IP and leaves the second one blank. If I change that entry and apply and then type nslookup distro.ibiblio.org it will report whatever IP is in the first name server field. But it doesn't change my ability to connect to the internet: I can still surf the web even when I blank that field out and hit apply.

Offline tothz

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »
Hy everybody,

I have same problem.. I got error message when I try connect to APPS server..
I can ping distro.ibiblio.org...
I run "sh -vx  /usr/bin/tce-fetch.sh info.lst.gz" and the file downloded to opt directory...
But Appbrowser said  "Conection error, check network or ibiblio
any idea?

thanks
zoltan