WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: eee 901, wifi problems  (Read 6206 times)

Offline salsadoom

eee 901, wifi problems
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:30:55 AM »
Hi Fellas,

New to TinyCore. Pretty neat distro, really impressed with a lot of the stuff in it. I'm running it on my eee 901 netbook (actually, and over a PXE network at work for some basic diags and such). Anyway, I've got pretty much everything working on it so far... except the wifi. It *looks* like its setup correctly. I'm using wpa_gui, wicd actually doesn't run, it complains about missing files that seem to be installed... and its actually more then what I need/want anyway. wpa_gui is good stuff.

Anyway, when I try and connect to a network, it just loops with the authentication timing out.

I get

Code: [Select]
Authentification with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx timed out.
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Trying to associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (SSID=`blah' freq=2437MHz)
Authentification with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx timed out.

And it just loops that forever. I've made sure my key is correct... this has an annoying RT2860STA wifi card btw. Any ideas?

Cheers
SD

EDIT: I should put in how I configured wifi in the first place in more detail. I followed the instructions here http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Setting+up+Wifi&highlight=eee specifically the wpa_gui portion. Just had to change wlan0 to ra0.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:32:53 AM by salsadoom »

Offline combo3

Re: eee 901, wifi problems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Have you installed the rt2860.tcz extension?

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »
Go to the wiki page you cited and try following the advice given under the heading: "More Advanced Setup: using wireless tools." You may find that you can solve your problem by doing so, but even if you don't, you will obtain information that will help us suggest other possibilities.

Offline salsadoom

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
Yeah, I got the extension installed :)

Well, yeah. Playing around with this, I actually have the wifi working just fine via iwpriv, the problem seems to be specifically with wpa_supplicant or wpa_gui. The wifi itself is just fine. Tricky issue. Not a huge problem, I can make a script to connect if I have too -- running a command isn't much more of a hassle than clicking on a bunch of icons. This is just a little bit less effort for connecting to new points. I don't have my eee with me at the moment, when I get home from work I'll post my configs and see if anyone can spot an issue I might be missing.

Cheers, thanks for the suggestions,
SD

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
I mostly use scripts to set up my WiFi connections on my EeePC 1000.
--
Mike L.

Offline julianb

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »
I found it fairly easy to use the wireless_tools.tcz extension, which manages wireless connection using the command line. (see its instructions). I recommend you try that.

I have used a number of different EEEpc's with wireless, and one of the EEEpc's I bought has a wireless card that required this extension: rtl8187se_coffee.tcz

You are welcome to try the extension out. (or look for source code that would let you compile an appropriate extension, which isn't all that hard and I can help explain the process)