WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Printing with cups  (Read 1467 times)

Offline kong

Printing with cups
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
Hi Forum, this is my first post, so hello all. I have an old "gericom"-Workstation with tiny core 2.8.1 It works like a charm, i adapted it to the needs of an old friend of mine, who knows nothing about Computers but needs email and things like that, and I'm pretty sure she won't break anything -- and when she does: who cares? -- just reboot! thx a lot to all the tiny-core community, especially the coders and inventors of the idea.
Now here's the Question: I can't get cups to recognize the printer on the parport0. The kernel does -- sorry for not posting the dmesg now, I'm at home and write this from memory. I get the printers correct name from dmesg: HP-Laserjet 1200 on parport0, but cups 1.4.1 doesn't recognize it. It seems not even to know the old printer port. When I try to manually tell cups the printer, it just offers the two ttys, a SCSI-port, and the rest network.
Should i try to downgrade cups? There's 1.3.8 in the repository, if i remember right -- could that help? The cups debug-level error log is not of much help -- can't post it now, but it also looks to me as it simply doesn't care about the parport0. Is this a known Problem?
I'm not very experienced with cups, i usually use the traditional lptd -- perhaps i'm missing something obvious? -- according to cups's "lpinfo -m" the needed drivers are available at least.

s.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Printing with cups
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »
Is the libieee1284 extension loaded?

Does "lsmod" show the lp module loaded?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:07:46 PM by Juanito »

Offline kong

Re: Printing with cups
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:38:38 AM »
libieee1284 is loaded, I'm not sure about the lp module, i will look as soon as i can.

s.