WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC2.10 - needed var $TCEDIR is not set  (Read 2275 times)

Offline philip

TC2.10 - needed var $TCEDIR is not set
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
TC2.10 is running well here, with classic flwm. But the control panel can't start 'OnDemand'. (A window flashes onto the screen and disappears instantly.) Saying 'ondemand' in a shell prompt gives an error message that has a symptom and a real cause. The symptom: a temporary file named $TMP created inside the script does not exist. (Suggested remedy: in the script, immediately after defining the variable $TMP, insert the command "touch $TMP". Works for me.) The true cause: the script expects to find a character string in the shell variable $TCEDIR, but that's empty. Maybe it's my fault, for not specifying tce=xxx on the boot line.

Code: [Select]
$ cat /proc/cmdline
vga=795 noswap nodhcp tz=PST+8PDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2 settime host=infty desktop=flwm waitusb=9 pause quiet

However, TC is well designed, and at least in some parts of the system, it knows what a good definition would be:

Code: [Select]
$ cat /opt/.tce_dir
/mnt/sdb1/tce

I will reboot with a better-decorated boot stanza, but meanwhile maybe there is potential in this observation for another small improvement in the system. (I have ideas, but people with a better overview of the whole system will almost certainly come up with better ones.) Greetings and thanks to all involved.

Online curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC2.10 - needed var $TCEDIR is not set
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »
If all extensions in optional are currently installed, yeah, that would happen. Some missing error handling.

TCEDIR is populated from /opt/.tce_dir before using, and if any extensions would not be installed, the $TMP file would exist.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.