WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New to TC: (USB) backup error!  (Read 3519 times)

Offline support4u

New to TC: (USB) backup error!
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:08 AM »
I get the following error upon shutdown.

Erros occured during backup!
see: /tmp/backup_status 

( can't find /tmp/backup_status  ?? )

Its a fresh tiny core install on a 2 gb usb stick.
I want my applications to be saved if possible..

Another question,

1 can i use the desktop somehow? ( put icons on it for example )
2 how can i mount my usb stick ( with tiny core on it ) so i can view my saved files on it?
for example i got a movie file saved on my usb, but i don't know i can go to it? at puppy linux u can mount drives, even the one with puppy linux on it.

thanks in advance!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: New to TC: (USB) backup error!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:46 AM »
1) see one of the DE extensions (xfce4, lxde), or rox

2) use the mount tool, or the command line. Or grab one of the many file manager extensions.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline support4u

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:43 AM »
sorry don't understand..
forgive me i'm new! plz be more specific? if possible

Offline MakodFilu

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:38:50 AM »
What you need is a look at this:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Boot+codes+explained

With Tinycore running, open a terminal and run fdisk -l That is a lower L. Locate the device that is your pendrive, be it /dev/sda /dev/sdb ...

Then run blkid (that device) and anotate the value. You must then read the above wiki to know how to set the boot code tce=UUID=.... Once booted with that new boot code, you'll find your pendrive already mounted and ready for storing applications and backups.

[^thehatsrule^: removed pointless attachments]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:42:19 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline baz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
Welcome!

1) Like curaga said if you want to use your desktop, and get a taskbar and all the other niceties you will need a different Desktop Environment (DE). I've had lots of success with XFCE. To get it, open the AppBrowser and install Xfce4Base then restart X (or reboot). This will also solve the your USB drive issue because XFCE's file manager will automatically detect it and allow you to click on it to open it.

2) If you prefer to mount it manually or not install a DE, there is a "mount tool" in Control Panel (cpanel). Open that and you will get a tiny little window that allows you to cycle through your partitions (by clicking on the current partition) then you can mount whichever one you want by clicking "mount".

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:31:16 AM by baz »

Offline support4u

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:55:34 AM »
makodfilu,

i'am ashamed. i realy don't understand.

i red the wiki, but it does not make any sense.
for instance i installed syslinux true the appbrowser. but i cannot find the file?

plz be more specific. if thats possible.  :'(

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »
Does it shut down, or not shut down, when the error occurs?

If it does not shut down, you can use Leafpad to view the file. You may need to install it. You may need to run as root, by typing "sudo leafpad" in the terminal.

If it shuts down, the file will be gone when you start the computer again.

You could view it by adding /tmp/backup_status to .filetool.lst, and using Leafpad when you restart the computer. But if backup does not work, that may not work either.

What filesystem are you using? If you are not using Ext2, I suggest you reinstall it on Ext2.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline support4u

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:34:44 AM »
its a fat 32 pendrive.
i installed tineycore with unetbootin on windows.

how shall i install it then? windows does not reconize a ext 2 partition?

my tineycore shuts down yes,..
but with backup selected it gives a error.
when i put the "v" away i can shutdown properly, but i lose my configurations.

i'm googleing alot, but cannot find any information that makes sense to me.
i got minimal linux experience. so sorry again for the stupidity.

how shall i install tiny core on my 2gb usb pendrive? plz be specific.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
i got xfe installed for testing right now
btw i cannot find "backup_status" file.. i got wm_errors.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:37:00 AM by support4u »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 03:54:37 AM »
windows does not reconize a ext 2 partition?

There are freeware ext2 drivers for windows available here www.fs-driver.org

Offline MakodFilu

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 06:14:47 AM »
You don't need to install syslinux.tgz, uNetbootin already did what is needed to install it in your pendrive. In fact, you only need to edit the syslinux.cfg file now present in your pendrive (using your favorite text editor from you favorite operating system if you like) and suddenly what it says in the wiki will make sense to you.

Offline MakodFilu

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »
Already figured your problem and the solution.

a) Open a terminal and run fdisk -l as said earlier, find your pendrive device and annotate it.

b) Open the Control Panel (Panel), find the button Set TCE drive and select the one corresponding to your pendrive. If still in doubt, look more carefully the information fdisk -l (lower L, remember) gave you before.

c) That is all. Now the applications you choose to install will be present in your next reboot, and the applications you choose to make available OnDemand would not start automatically but will be there in your pendrive as locally available applications. The backup will be made at shutdown or reboot time and automatically restored in your next boot.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:31:22 AM by MakodFilu »

Offline Guy

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
There are so many different issues discussed, one could comment on any one of them.

Tiny Core should run on FAT32, just that errors are more likely on FAT32 than Ext2.

If you just use this usb drive in your own computer, you can install a program in Windows to be able to access Ext2. If you use in in many different computers, you may not be able to install it on all of them, so you may want to stick with FAT32.

The easiest way to install Tiny Core on a usb drive, is to run Tiny Core from the CD, connect to the internet, install dosfstools and syslinux, then run USB Install from the Control Panel. It will be set up automatically, and everything will work. You can select either FAT32 or Ext2. Then run from the usb drive, connect to the internet, and install programs you want on the usb drive.

If experienced users want to get more technical, they can create a FAT32 partition and an Ext2 partition. The FAT32 must be the first partition for Windows to access it. Install Tiny Core on the Ext2 partition. You can then access the FAT32 partition from both Tiny Core and Windows, and share files. This needs to be done manually, and cannot be done using USB Install.

If you already have Tiny Core installed, it is probably just a matter of minor modification, as mentioned by others. Try this first. If you can't get it working, try installing using USB Install.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.