WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: LOVE! the new AppBrowser (2.10) - some _tiny_ suggestions...  (Read 3832 times)

Offline baz

LOVE! the new AppBrowser (2.10) - some _tiny_ suggestions...
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
Using the new AppBrowser is like night and day from previous versions. I can now actually work while an extension is downloading! (since there are no longer a million little popups stealing my mouse focus) I can even queue extensions for download. I didn't see this advertised in the release notes but if you click multiple extensions they will all download in sequence! This was great for installing XFCE because there are 5-10 separate add-ons and plugins that I always need to get. Also, the CONNECT button being so easily accessible has made the process much smoother. Really, great job everyone!

Some suggestions:

1. SEARCHBOX: The searchbox made more sense down below with the install/ondemand. That's where you "do" stuff. There is no reason to have to travel all the way across the interface to perform the most common task of search-then-install.

2. STATUS BAR: So then where would the status bar go if the searchbox is placed back where it was? Right below in a new line like most other windowing systems. It adds another line, yes, but the interface is still very efficient and fits on any netbook screen. No need to cram.

3. STATUS BAR #2: A really useful addition to the status bar would be progress, and more importantly, download speed - very much like tce-load in the command line. I was downloading an extension that took longer than expected and I wasn't sure if the connection was still good or whether to wait. I really like tce-load a lot.

4. CONNECT: Although the new connect button is great, it is still tedious to have to click it each time. What would be great is if there was a way to mark "always connect". Also, SELECT MIRROR is completely related to the AppBrowser, but it's off in its own interface far away. Finally, the initial UNCONNECTED interface is empty with only 2 buttons to work with, making for a lot of wasted interface space. All that to say that an intermediate "connect" interface would be very beneficial here - one that allows the user to select their mirror, or go local, or "always do these actions". Then they click on "connect" and away they go to the usual AppBrowser. The next time they open the AppBrowser, if they selected "always do these actions" previously, they will be presented with the main interface. Otherwise, the "connect" screen will show again allowing them to customize each experience. Of course, the "connect" interface should also be accessible from the AppBrowser in a menu or button to make changes.

What do you guys think?

Baz

Offline sandras

Re: LOVE! the new AppBrowser (2.10) - some _tiny_ suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:53:14 AM »
Well, I would agree with everything tou said. I like the new Appbrowser more then earlier versions too, ut these improvements would make it top notch! ;)

I think the overall progress bar would be harder to develop, so maybe at least a refreshing progress bar for every dependecy? I would at least indicate the work.

And maybe a progress bar could be made pop-up? I know it would be kind of like going back, but I'm talking about one bar instead of big numbers of them like it used to be. And maybe after the download is finished there would be an "OK" button enabled on that pop-pup window. That would make the interface clearer, less cluttered on the Appbrowser.

Just a suggestion.  :)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
I like the idea of incorporating tcemirror into appbrowser. You can look for that one.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:40:15 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
What do you think about including Update Apps in Apps Audit? There is a heading Updates.

What do you think about including On Demand next to On Boot in Apps Audit? It could function the same as On Boot. Easier than typing numbers.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »
I am working on some of these. My plan is move OnDemand to appsaudit when I have it universal.

Having OnDemand universal means changes to the menu system. I am working to drop the current jwm standard for menu items as well as the wbar standard for icons. That is the next big change coming.

Update apps will stay as it is useful for Microcore.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
I have incorporated tcemirror into appbrowser. Will be in 2.11rc1.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
I am working to drop the current jwm standard for menu items as well as the wbar standard for icons. That is the next big change coming.
Could you explain about wbar? Are you planning to drop it from TC? I hope not; I really love the way wbar is always dependable even if no other extensions are present - I use my own config file and rely on wbar working by default even if nothing else is there.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
No plans to drop wbar. Do plan to populate wbar directly from the freedesktop.org specifications.

So, instead of using specific applications ( jwm and wbar) specifications for menu and icon, use the standard freedesktop specifications.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:17:52 AM by roberts »

Offline baz

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:22:55 AM »
Yes!

Offline neonix

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 02:38:59 AM »
I am working to drop the current jwm standard for menu items as well as the wbar standard for icons.
I hope that it will be incorporated in 3.x version, not in 2.x ?

BTW Could someone create high resolution icons of Aterm, Panel and Apps? What they come from? Are they  GPL'ed?

P.S.2 Could someone create actual screenshots on free license for use in wikipedia.org? And what is official logo of Tiny Core Linux, right now?